Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.bing.com/shopping/ws0970-115-volt-70-amp-arc-stick-welder/p/3D4F8B2C86EB5B4742C4?q=welder&lpq=welder&FORM=HURE

will this welder work for welding exhaust piping and what size pipe should i use for this engine? it has ported and polished heads, intake manifold, holly 4 barrel carb, and headers leading into 3 in piping. i want dual pipes and want straight pipes as well. i really dont think the 3 in piping is really the best performance choice. should i put in an x pipe somewhere in the middle? im guessing since the stock engine had 375 hp it now has around 430 or up? the exhaust and intake were extremely restrictive stock so it might even be more power than that. where do you think the hp is at the crank? sorry a lot of questions i know but im just trying to get all my questions summed up in one thread. ill post pics of the build as soon as i can borrow my brothers nice camera.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A mig welder would be a much better option. I bought a 115v older Craftsman (I think Lincoln made it) from a co work for $50 that is like brand new. Get the type that will do mig and not flux core. Much better weld with Mig then flux core and most new welders will do both. The expensive part is the bottle of Argon gas$$. Check the price of that first before buying the welder. If you only plan on using it once for this job the exhaust shop is the better option. My does up to a 1/4" and works great for exhaust and sheet metal work.

I would do the X pipe and 3" will be good for 420 hp. , actually 2 1/2 would be Ok depending on your mufflers. I did the X pipe side exhaust on my Boss 302 Mustang this summer. Used 2 1/2 and out the side with Dynomax mufflers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Why a Cadillac motor in a Cougar??

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brian,

FWIW, Argon/CO2 mix (what we're talking about here) is not too expensive, around here it is only about $18 for a 40 lb cylinder fill. You do have to buy the cylinder though (or exchange), think I paid something like $80 for a new one with the correct valve.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Is this for real? No disrespect, but you're claiming to have accomplished an engine swap that would require extensive custom fabrication, but asking really basic questions about welders and hooking up the exhaust?
I'm really looking forward to pictures.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Is this for real? No disrespect, but you're claiming to have accomplished an engine swap that would require extensive custom fabrication, but asking really basic questions about welders and hooking up the exhaust?
I was thinking the same thing. Lo Ho, is that you "good buddy"?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
LMAO! Yea, how about just one shot of the engine sitting in the bay between the shock towers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm well the 472 is much bigger than the 302. 2.7l difference i think. so you think i should stick with the 3in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did none of the work its my late brothers project i am finishing up ill post a build thread when im done

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
When you are done Colton? It is nice to share and people will get a much better idea of what you are up to, what you have and the like. 3" exhaust would probably be the way to go with an engine with that much displacement, it is almost required to get the performance the engine is capable of. Sorry about your brother, we would love to see what he was building and what you are seeing through.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts