Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Merry Christmas,

I just picked up a 1946 Buick Road Master, and rather than GIVING MY LIFE'S SAVINGS AWAY to chrome plating I am considering BLASTING some small parts and painting instead. NOT A NEW IDEA, FOR SURE....., but one I am considering.

My question is, have any of you purchased a HARBOR FREIGHT cabinet blaster, and if so what is your opinion of it? I don't need a large cabinet unit, I have an 80 gallon upright compressor with nearly 19 CFM @ 90 lbs., so I would think it should handle my needs. I also know that keeping the compressed air DRY is very important in blasting, so will check the filters I have and purchase what is required if needed.

Any and all comments are most welcome.

Wishing you ALL a HAPPY NEW YEAR TOOOOOOOOOO!

P.S. I joined a Buick forum, and must say, they are a SLOW BUNCH, AND NOT WHAT I CALL A HAPPY BUNCH EITHER. This site has always been QUICK to respond, and OPINIONS a PLENTY.
Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have one and it is adequate. I have used production quality blasters and can say that there is a huge difference in the quality and speed BUT for the price I am satisfied. I got the larger of the two that they offer at HF. One thing I think must be done is dust ventilation of the cabinet, I have a rather week shop vac that I use to pull the dust out of the air in the cabinet so I can see inside. If you do not you will be working blind most of the time. I also use the glass bead which seems to work better and produce less dust that the walnut shells etc.

On the saving on Chrome thing, I have had all my bright work powder coated black. My reason was more for the look than the money savings whereas I have even powder coated a few brand new chrome pieces. But it is a much cheaper route. The guy who does mine can even do some stainless or pewter looking metal like finishes.

Almost forgot. When you assemble the cabinet to the base, use some really good sealant between them. The supplied rubber like seal is not adequate. Maybe something like body seam sealer.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I have one too. It’s just barely adequate in my opinion. I may not have the same one as letsroll. Mine was the table top unit. It did not have a stand. I mounted it to an old gas BBQ base. I also use a shop vac to clear the dust. I added a section of 4'" PVC pipe to make a reservoir for the media to drop in to. I placed the media siphon down in to that. Before I did that I had to keep pushing the sand over it to have it pick it up. The one I have also has a Plexie glass door that has warped and does not seal now. I plan to build a new one soon that will have a metal frame. All in all, I think it was worth the money.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i'm not so sure the issue is the cabinet but the media---fine morter sand is cheap but dusty and once it's been used , the edges are rounded and don't work well . garnet solves the dust and sharp edge issues but can be pricey---then there's glass bead and plastic media and walnut shells ect---each has it's place . i modified my cabinet by rasing it up high enough so i can change media quickly into plastic storage tubs---i only use sand for verry rusty or greasy stuff , then throw it away .if you use glass bead to clean dirty parts then use it on an aluminum part you want to anodize , the part after anodize will have a dirty look to it
powder coat is great---chrome silver looks kinda like an endura-shine edelbrock manifold -make sure you use a clear uv second coat of powder if using it out side
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I built my own cabinet years ago out of plywood using these plans from TP. I used the heck out of that cabinet and it still works well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you purchase the hardware needed from TP?

Thanks,

Dale in Indy

1941 Buick Limited, LT-1 powered
1946 Buick Road Master, straight eight
2003 Matrix X
1995 Ford work truck
1947 Whizzer motor bike
1940 Rexner rail or tether car
1952 German motor scooter, might sell, unrestored.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to ALL................., FOR SURE!

Dale in Indy

1941 Buick Limited, 1996 LT-1 Corvette crate engine, with chip
1946 Buick Road Master, original straight eight
1979 Corvette, bought new, 600 H.P. small block, Doug Nash 5-speed
2006 Matrix X
1995 Ford work truck
1947 Whizzer motor bike
1940 Rexner rail or tether car.
1952 German scooter, might sell, un-restored, cool piece

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the smaller HF blaster. The gun gave me a ton of problems and was always clogging. I thought it was my small 26 gallon compressor that was weak. I ended up getting a gun off of ebay and it made a world of difference. Rather than use a single tube it uses a double tube. No clogs now and blasts a ton faster. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIA-GUN-SANDBLASTING-BLAST-BLASTING-CABINET-/310230471182?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item483b2d520e Made by badboy blasting.

I put a cheap hockey puck led light from harbor freight inside which greatly improves visibility even in a well lit shop. I need to go to the hardware store and get some aluminum tape because the inner seals bleed glass bead all over my shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts