Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Don and scott have done "cougar by the numbers" I thought I would check out a C6 trans that I have had for some years waiting to go in my 68. After looking at the numbers video, Im not sure what I have. Scott Behncke said that if it was a Ford number it would start with a 1 and a Mercury would start with a 5, this is in regards to the casting boss on the top of the trans near the tail stock.

1) First my trans does not have a casting boss, It is just stamped with a "8CA98756" this isn't even close to what they found.
2) The top of the bell housing has a very large stamping of "73XX"
3) The tail stock has a large stamping also on top "8AX"
4) On the side at the bottom of the trans, just above the pan is "RF-D7UP-7006-AA
5) The tail stock has a casting # DIAP-7A040-AA
6) The servo on the side has the letter "N" with RF-D3AP-7D That I can make out
7) Finally, there is a tag that is mounted to the servo, the number is,
Top line, PGD CZ5 C20
bottom line, E1TP KA 026965

The trans when I got it was supposed to be redone with extra clutches, primaries, and a stage 3 shift kit. I have no Idea what the torque converter is, as far as I know it is a stock unit.

Any help with figuring out what it came from or even what year it is would be a great help.
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Since Don and scott have done "cougar by the numbers" I thought I would check out a C6 trans that I have had for some years waiting to go in my 68. After looking at the numbers video, Im not sure what I have. Scott Behncke said that if it was a Ford number it would start with a 1 and a Mercury would start with a 5, this is in regards to the casting boss on the top of the trans near the tail stock.

1) First my trans does not have a casting boss, It is just stamped with a "8CA98756" this isn't even close to what they found.
2) The top of the bell housing has a very large stamping of "73XX"
3) The tail stock has a large stamping also on top "8AX"
4) On the side at the bottom of the trans, just above the pan is "RF-D7UP-7006-AA
5) The tail stock has a casting # DIAP-7A040-AA
6) The servo on the side has the letter "N" with RF-D3AP-7D That I can make out
7) Finally, there is a tag that is mounted to the servo, the number is,
Top line, PGD CZ5 C20
bottom line, E1TP KA 026965

The trans when I got it was supposed to be redone with extra clutches, primaries, and a stage 3 shift kit. I have no Idea what the torque converter is, as far as I know it is a stock unit.

Any help with figuring out what it came from or even what year it is would be a great help.
Thanks,
Dennis
You have a truck transmission 8CA98756 8 is the year, C is Ontario Truck in Oakville, A98756 = 98,756 built

Based on the other numbers I think you have a '78.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have a truck transmission 8CA98756 8 is the year, C is Ontario Truck in Oakville, A98756 = 98,756 built

Based on the other numbers I think you have a '78.

Thanks Dave,
Can you tell me if this thing is as good as the early one's? I have a 351C that will be on the other end of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts