Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a reasonable priced C6 for sale(disassembled), and need some help with identification. The guy selling it says that he was told that it came off of a 351 Cleveland by the person who sold it to him. I just want to verify this to make sure that the bell housing will mate to my 351C, before I drop some cash on this tranny.

Casting numbers are:
D7UP-7006-AA : This is located just above the pan on the drivers side

24 : this is really big, and located on the top of the bellhousing

Next there is a part with numerous part numbers. I do not know what to call this part so please bear with me. It is a cylinder about 4 inches in diameter with one concave side, sticking out of the middle of the concave side is a shaft about 5 inches(?) long. On the opposite side there are several castings : N, RF-D3AP, D3AP, and 7D027-AA .

And finally on the tail shaft: D1AP7A040 AA, and a big 11

Thanks, Cody

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I'm going to guess that it is a 77 trans, but I'm not a casting # guru so someone else step in and verify. If it is a 77 it would have to come off a 351 windsor to fit your C since C's were not built as late as 77. If the guy said it came off a Cleavland I'm afraid he might be confusing it with the 351/400 modified, as alot of people do.

If it came off a 351/400 it will NOT fit your Cleavland. Smallblock C6's are a little hard to come buy. Most in the later 70's would be found in trucks and vans with 351w's. mm

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
U is Van

D7U is 77 Van thanks MM and no van was issued with a Cleveland engine in any years as far as I know. If you want a real C6 case I of course have one off a real 351C 72 Cougar. What the fellow is offering from where I stand may be a 351 M trans housing which fits I think 351M 400 429 and 460 That's it. Many get confused by the "look" of an "M" engine which uses the C heads and W crank however lots of vans were issued w/Windsor engines so you may get lucky. Take into account that the van is a column shift and the car is a console shift so w/o the correct lever you will not be shiftin gears. Note that C6 rebuild kits are only $100 and overhauling a trans in either C4 or C6 form is relatively easy. Knowing nothing about tailshaft lengths I advize you to take a look at it as well. Take a few measurements or see how the starter bolts or look at some pix or run the # at your local Ford dealership.Best'O Catzyalater

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I just compare the bellhousing bolt pattern on the C6 to the bell housing of the transmission that originally came off the Cleveland?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Yes go and compare bolting patterns/flanges etc thats a good idea. Also might wanna check overall lengths. Don't forget the shift levers are diff at 180 out tween catz and vans. Catzyalater:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I know for sure that I will need a different shift lever, what kind would you suggest? I had planned on getting a Hurst Quarter Stick, will it work?

Ray and ModifiedMark, thanks for all the help.:D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Its the shift lever on the trans not the shifter itself that is 180 out from console shift to column shift. I myself can only recommend the original shifter. It shifts as fast as any aftermarket shifter in my opinion and does not cost a fortune. The only prob w/original shifters is after 30 years the bushings wear out a $10 repair.Ray:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts