Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 KAT is going to require some transmission work and I'd like to see if anyone has experienced this or can give me an idea as to what is wrong...

The transmission skips 2nd gear. It will upshift from 1 - 3. If I am in 3rd and move the gearshift to 2nd the engine will rev without engaging the transmission. The symptoms started after my accident last summer. The PO put in a 2800 stall converter and (yep, you guessed it!) did not rebuild the transmission.

Is anyone familliar with transmission shops in the Minneapolis area? A reputable nation chain perhaps?

Ken

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Second Gear is obtained by a band applying a choke-hold on a rotating drum. Either someting is plugging a valve body passage to the servo that applies the band, the servo seal is bad, the servo is stuck, or the little fulcrum is broken. The friction material on the band is very thin, like .020 when new, so if that goes away you'll get slippage, but you'll at least have something. There is also a band adjustment on the outside of the trans case. If that came loose, you would also lose Second gear, but it would have started slipping first before totally going out.

Most of the repairs I have mentioned can be easily fixed without totally disassembling the trans. You'd just have to remove the valve body and clean it out at most. The only exception is if the band itself has gone bad. Then you'd have to drop the trans and totally disassemble it.

·
11,000 Posts
I had the same problem with the C6 in my green GTE, no second gear. The band was broken in half, all the friction material was gone and it had worn through the band destroying the drum in the process. It happened during a chassis dyno pull, made a big bang and sounded like it was in neutral. Needless to say no more dyno pulls that day!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
True -- band is not applying. Drop the pan and check. I recall the shop manual having a procedure for doing an in-car replacement. It requires a different band. You can also find the "how-to-test" procedures in the shop manual.

C6 is fairly easy to rebuild. Need a handful of special tools...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yes, some parts mfgrs have what they call a 'snap band', but I wouldn't use one in one of my own cars I planned to keep for any length of time. At most it is a crutch, alowing you just enough time to plan things out a bit better (scheduling the time/friends/tools/obtaining the parts for best price/etc..).

It is a case of 'you might as wells'. Just figure on a complete rebuild, upgrading any parts you feel necessary for better performance (converter, shift kit, etc) Just take your time and have 'fun'!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to pull it and have a performance rebuild. There is an engineer here in the TC area that will do it. It's a bit spendy but the mods he is proposing sound intriguing to me:

1) Additional clutches for 1st and 3rd
2) Transgo shift kit
3) Adjustable vacuum modulator
4) Different servo for 2nd
5) Change planetary gear ratio in 1st (10%higher)
6) Change planetary gear ratio in 2nd (5%higher)
7) New tourque converter

This should take care of my desire for more off the line performance without sacrificing the drivability. Since 68 KAT has 2.73 gearing she purrs along on the highway and is a little slow getting started.

I'll post pics regarding the process...

·
Registered
676 Posts
kvinmn said:
I've decided to pull it and have a performance rebuild. There is an engineer here in the TC area that will do it.
Ken,

Who is this engineer from the Twin Cities that does tranny rebuilds? The C4 in my Cougar is in rough shape.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His name is Jeff Wingfield and has his own company called (appropriately enough!) Wingfield Performance. He used to work with Ford and has been doing this type of work for years.

I'm not too sure how enthusiastic he's be about a C4. He had me double check my tranny to make sure it was a C6...I think I have your email addy so if you'd like I can send his phone number...

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
kvinmn said:
I've decided to pull it and have a performance rebuild. There is an engineer here in the TC area that will do it. It's a bit spendy but the mods he is proposing sound intriguing to me:

1) Additional clutches for 1st and 3rd
2) Transgo shift kit
3) Adjustable vacuum modulator
4) Different servo for 2nd
Good choice

5) Change planetary gear ratio in 1st (10%higher)
6) Change planetary gear ratio in 2nd (5%higher)

Waste of money for your combination. Get good rear gears instead. Even a 3.25 will wake it up more.

7) New tourque converter

Don't go away from stock speed with your gear combo.
This should take care of my desire for more off the line performance without sacrificing the drivability. Since 68 KAT has 2.73 gearing she purrs along on the highway and is a little slow getting started.

The above mods are all appropriate given the right consideration. You really don't need to spend money with that combo on the servo or clutch upgrade. When you're making 500HP let's talk...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dfwcatsclub: thanks for the input! It seems to be a moot point now since the spousal unit has intervened. We've been searching for a home and decided this weekend to build one. It will have to wait until September. Goodbye discretionary income :)

The part I like about the gearing change is that it wouldn't affect cruising rpms. That upgrade is about 500.00 and could be accomplished a lot cheaper with a change in rear gears.

He quoted all of the stout pieces because I plan to wake up the engine with some more mods this coming winter.

Neal: I spoke with Jeff regarding the C4 and he said the rebuild is no problem - however the gearing change would be VERY expensive because of the additional machine work he'd need to do.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Actually if you wake up the engine you might need less of a gear in the tranny. Plus the 2.72 1st gear is over quickly, in my opinion. I'm out of 1st in gear in about 2 seconds on my cat -- wouldn't want the 2.72!

The C6 is a very stout unit and the mods are all healthy. It's just plain economics. Save your money for good heads. Good intake. The stock C6 will take the abuse.

I rebuild my own trannies -- but still I'm pumping 505-515 rear wheel HP. That makes for about 585HP at the crank. And the torque is flashing to 750 lb-ft. Stock C6.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts