Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we finally got around to installing the LOKAR C6 kick down on my son's 70. It was huge PITA to install with the trans in the car. If you are thinking about this for yourself, you will want to have the hex keys with a socket end, trust me.
Anyway, the kickdown lever on the side, has no pressure on it. I have never been into a C6, so I'm not sure how the kickdown works internally. Is it possible that something fell of inside, while we were working with the lever? The car still has no boost pressure in the transmission. Poopy. We spent the money for a 2800 stall TC, and a shift kit, and the trans is just not performing like it should. Any idea's?

·
11,000 Posts
The kickdown on a C6 needs an external return spring connected from the arm to the transmission. Here's a picture of 67 - 68 version.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce, thanks very much. This is an unknown year rebuilt trans that the kid rebuilt while in school. The stock Ford kick down wasn't getting any action from the carb, so we bought the LOKAR set up. It now is supposed to work on a 'pull', instead of the stock push. I see what you are saying with the return spring, but the trans still acts like it isn't getting any boost pressure. For having a shift kit installed, and the 2800 stall TC, the trans just doesn't perform like it should. The shifts are not particularly firm or quick. The LOKAR set up has no provision for a return spring with it.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Did you take all the slack out of the Lokar cable and ensure it moves in a 1:1 relationship with the throttle?

·
11,000 Posts
The stock setup pulls on the kickdown. You should be able to rig a return spring in there somewhere.

Royce, thanks very much. This is an unknown year rebuilt trans that the kid rebuilt while in school. The stock Ford kick down wasn't getting any action from the carb, so we bought the LOKAR set up. It now is supposed to work on a 'pull', instead of the stock push. I see what you are saying with the return spring, but the trans still acts like it isn't getting any boost pressure. For having a shift kit installed, and the 2800 stall TC, the trans just doesn't perform like it should. The shifts are not particularly firm or quick. The LOKAR set up has no provision for a return spring with it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, when at WOT, there is no slack in the cable. Here is the "picture page" from LOKAR, and you can see what I'm talking about.

http://lokar.com/downloads/pdf-instructions/ford-c6-kd.pdf

I'm confidant that it's not a problem with the installation, rather that something inside the trans isn't working properly. I'm not convinced that if I put a return spring on the trans, that would affect the performance of it.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I have my Lokar cable hooked up exactly as the diagram shows and it works perfectly. So yeah, must be something internal.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wood - Did you install the trans in the car or drop it all in as a unit? Just wondering if you are 100% that you got it mated up correctly and didn't destroy the pump due to missalignment? It's easy to do....otherwise I'd suspect you missed something in the VB when you put a kit in there, might want to crack that puppy open and double check it. I always save the original parts until your sure things are going good. I assume you filled up the convertor before installing....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yep, what Mike just said...also you could have gotten a check ball in the wrong location when you installed the plate...? Also, how is your vacuum modulator, is it hooked up and is it the right one?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had somebody else install the trans, as it is a big fat mofo... The "shop instructor" went back through the trans himself, and gave it a clean bill of health. This whole exercise of C6 into 70 cougar has been a huge PITA! I told the kid to spend the money up front for the FMX kit, it will be lots cheaper in the long run, and a lot easier all the way around. So far, I was right in my prediction. We did use the transgo shift kit while he was going thru it.
Also, in regards to the vacuum modulator, I'm not sure they have the right one. How can you tell?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
there is two different kickdown levers for the c-6 (maybee more)--when i got our car the kickdown lever would slide out of the shift lever--my trans guy said the inner lever had come off of the kickdown shaft and he would have to see if he had the right one---something to do with floor shift c-6 or col shift c-6---you might check this out with your trans guy
doctordesoto

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"The inner lever had come off of the kickdown shaft"...That is more like what I was thinking had happened. If I pull the pan, is that an easy fix?

·
11,000 Posts
Can't you just put the lever and nut back on?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Reading this I keep telling myself, THIS FORUM IS SO GREAT, can you imagine what woodsnake would be going thru without this site, what a wonderful tool, and with so many interested people trying to help.

Bless this site and its members, FOR SURE!

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Royce, I did bolt it up on the outside, and there is no action on the kickdown, internally.....I think there should be some kind of spring pressure or 'resistance' to movement, from the kickdown lever....Hence the questions. I guess I'll just drop the pan, and have a look to see if it came undone some how.
This whole nightmare would have been a non issue, if the kid would have done what I told him to do!! :angryfi: :realmad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Everyone

So I had a leak by my neutral safety switch on my C6 transmission. Once I opened it up to change the seals I found that the shaft for the kickdown rod that goes into the gearbox is broken. My plan is to weld the piece back, I think it will be successful. But I am unsure which way to weld it, the piece that has a hook like structure has broken off the actual shaft. Which way does it need to be welded back?
Attached is a picture of the piece I am talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Probably should have kept this with your other thread....to keep the flow on your problems. You will have to figure out what angle the thing needs to be in at all positions before you commit to welding it. That may be a nitride hardened steel shaft..? It may not weld to easy/good. You may be better off getting good used one - I know it won't tbe easy at your location though....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
royce ,on my c-6 the inner shaft would come all the way out with the linkage on it---the internal lever had come off the shaft---the trans guy says it was pressd on the staked @ the factory---he said they come in at least two versions depending on shifter type---any way , he had a used one in stock and the trans still works fine
doctordesoto

1 - 20 of 21 Posts