Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on my car the other day, and while I was under it transmission fluid just started draining out. It looked like the old fluid pan gasket had finally cracked, but when I was about to put on the new gasket and filter I noticed it appeared to have actually run down from the vent tube on the top driver's side of the transmission. I decided to change the filter anyway, because I didn't know the last time it'd been done and the gasket looked old. Now in drive the transmission won't shift from first to second. Any ideas why? Did something just decide to break which also made it leak, or was the leaking a coincidence and I just really mess up changing the filter?

·
Registered
708 Posts
So I was working on my car the other day, and while I was under it transmission fluid just started draining out. It looked like the old fluid pan gasket had finally cracked, but when I was about to put on the new gasket and filter I noticed it appeared to have actually run down from the vent tube on the top driver's side of the transmission. I decided to change the filter anyway, because I didn't know the last time it'd been done and the gasket looked old. Now in drive the transmission won't shift from first to second. Any ideas why? Did something just decide to break which also made it leak, or was the leaking a coincidence and I just really mess up changing the filter?
About 20 years ago my '68 wouldn't shift out of first gear. I ended up having to have the transmission rebuilt (C4), but the main reason it wasn't shifting was due to a small sliver of metal hung up in the governor slides that would let the slide move back and forth. http://www.saacforum.com/galleryc/displayimage.php?album=119&pos=2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I checked the kickdown cable and the vacuum modulator today. The kickdown cable wasn't stuck, bummer. The vacuum modulator also looked fine- no leaks or fluid in the vacuum line. Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be besides a ruined transmission? I'm not sure if the leak actually had anything to do with the transmission not being able to shift, but the leak started days after the engine had last been started. Does that tell anybody anything? Also, I got the fluid fill amount from a Mustang forum and the guy ended up being wrong, so I ran the car for a few minutes with about a quart less fluid than I needed. I didn't drive it anywhere, but I put it into gear to suck in the fluid before I checked the level. Could that have caused some damage that would make it not shift?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
It sounds like it is overfilled -- any time the fluid comes out the vent you have a problem.
However, just because it is overfilled does not mean it won't shift. Many issues could be at play here.

Was 20 @ A&M when I got my Cougar and had shifting problems :( Wish you were closer to help.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Could it be starting off in second, not shifting to high?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dfwcatsclub, I think you'll be glad to know there are at least two first gen Cougars still cruising around her :)
Art, it's starting in first. I'm able to shift it to second manually, it just can't shift on its own in drive. I guess that's an important bit of information to leave out haha.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sometimes if you overfill them the fluid actually becomes to aerated and won't develop enough pressure to shift properly. Your actually better off being a tad low than high. What fluid did you use..? Next time you drop the pan consider adding a drain plug in there to make your life easier BTW. You can extract the fluid via the fill tube with a drill mounted pump or one of those cheapy tranfer pumps from Harbor Feight - they are hand to have around!

What kind of shape was the olf fluid in? Was it red still - smell burned? You can tell much by comparing/smelling beieve it or not

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old fluid actually looked very good I think. In retrospect I'm actually a little surprised seeing as the pan gasket looked very old. I'll take it around the block and check the fluid level, it'd be great if it was just a little overfilled.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was all it was! I must not have let the car heat up enough when I put the fluid in. Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts