Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pop out my transmission here in the next couple weeks and rebuild it myself. 68 std, 302, C4, December '67 build date. I see rebuild kits in JEGS, does anyone have any wisdom on where the best place is to buy?? It presently has a 10" TCI torque converter, 3500 stall, will I need to replace?? Can the regular tranny shops flush the contaminated fluid out without replacing?? Those little buggers are more than the tranny rebuild! Any advice would be welcome.

Ron.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tranny rebuilds

You can get tranny rebuild kits from just about anywhere. Everybody from JC Whitney to the aftermarket tranny companies like TCI, , ATI, Trans-dapt, and the like. Summit, Jegs or any other national chain can get them for you. Just about any one of those specialty kits are ok, but all you'll really get is a stronger friction material. The shift improver kits or other reprogramming kits will increase the pressures in your transmission to make things shift faster/harder.

The average shadetree mechanic can simply swap out the worn friction materials with new and slap in a new set of seals and gaskets and expect the trans to work, but it takes a little more knowlege to get things into race or heavy-duty spec. That is all good and fine, but the real killer of automatic transmissions is excessive 'slop'. You need the select fit thrust washers for the overall endplay, and other shims to bring each clutch pack into spec or race spec. There are other tricks you can use to get the fluid to drain/squeeze out faster from the clutch packs also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts