Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told the c4's had 2 different size torque converters. one was 10.something inches, the other 11.something. My car is a 302 2v. (1968) Anyone know which size it uses. I'm getting a junkyard one in an attempt to cure that nagging vibration and need to know which size.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Since the C-4 was Ford's light duty trans for years, it was put behind many engine families. Most V8s and straight sixes would have a 11-12" converter, and the four bangers and small v6s like the old Mustang II 2.8 would have the smaller 10-1/2" unit because of the smaller bellhousing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Be mindful that there is a 24 and a 26 splined input shaft too. The 26 spline unit came in the heavy duty C4 and the later "dipstick in pan-separate bell housing bolts units. I don't know of any way to differentiate short of sticking the input shaft in there.

Sorry for mucking up the waters, but it is another variable.

Ron.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hmmmmm, I thought that the only 26 spline trans was the FMX...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have two C4's for the Cougar... the one that's in it now is the "older" style with a 24 spline small input shaft, dipstick in case, bell housing on front pump bolt circle. I have "spare" on the bench, it's the newer style dipstick in pan, separate bell housing bolt circle... It has the 26 spline bigger diameter input shaft. I wanted to swap to the one I've got on my bench, but I havn't because of my TCI high stall converter... the input shafts are different. TCI can change this, and I'll probably have it done this winter... along with adjusting it to stall higher.

Ron.

PS. I am completely unfamiliar with the C6 or FMX units.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts