Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C4 to AOD

Hi all,
I have began to round up the parts for an AOD conversion. My question pertains to the shifter. Can I re-use the current c4 shifter. I have the console, so this would be desireable. I have found information that says the C3, C5 and AOD all use the same shifter (The AOD says D instead of OD). Since a C5 is a C4 more or less I am hopeful. The AOD is from a floor shifted 86 T-Bird. Both shifters have six detents. I just want to be sure it will work prior to starting. If not, I think the Lokar one is the only one that'll let me keep the console...and those are pricey.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I reused my shifter with no problems. My cat is a 70 and was an fmx but I don't think it will matter. I also pulled the shift lever on the trans and rotated it 180 degrees so the shifter will be moving it in the proper direction.
Good Luck
John
wvcat

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I have heard that the lever had to be rotated if the car the trans came from was a column shift. I will keep it in mind however. Still would like the warm fuzzy of hearing that someone has done a c4 to AOD however, but I am comfortable enough to go ahead if not. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Shifter is not the same

Hi All,

You can use the shifter somewhat. The problem is that the detent angle of C4,FMX,C6 is identical. The AOD is not. There is a difference of 5 degrees between detents.
The guy that sells the conversion kits (Windsor-Fox) solves this by offsetting the shifter rod between the shifter and the trans.

Also, if you check aftermarket -- the AOD requires a different shifter ratchet/gate mechanism.

Whichever method you use, you want to check proper engagement of the manual valve by shifting the shifter (under the car) and disconnecting the linkage. It should gracefully slide in and out at each gear position. If not it's binding and you'll have to do some adjustments.

Enjoy,
Bill

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AOD

Thanks all,
I found the Conversion linkage on Windsor-Fox last night and plan to use it, along with there crossmember. I'll use a Lokar Kickdown/TV cable and I should be good to go. Now anyone know how all of the lines match up. Also will the stock c4 transcooler work for the AOD. Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just thought of something

I have began rounding up the parts for this and I had a thought. I still have the stock exahaust manifolds. Will these create problems. I can get a set of headers of a mustang 5.0. Will these work? I think they are off a 91.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think you will have problems with the 5.0 headers clearing your chassis/steering but I really don't think the manifolds will cause you trouble. The routing of your existing pipes are probably more of a concern than the manifolds themselves. On wvcat I have hooker headers and the collector flanges are against the pan rail on the trans. They are just barely against so I didn't worry much about it. Its been that way since I installed the AOD about 2 1/2 years now.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exhaust Routing

Well, I just found out the car has the stock single exhaust. Will this cause problems with the AOD install. Yes, I know that it will negate the edelbrock intake and head porting and the increased compression too, but the budget is offically blown so a nice exhaust system will have to wait unless the single won't work. I may leave the 302 2v in there as well until I can get a decent exhaust. What do you think? Well, anyway, I need the AOD, so will the single work?

·
Registered
600 Posts
John

Umm when you switched to a AOD from a FMX did the driveshaft have to be modified? Also any other weird little things i should know about?
Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Conversion

Haven't done the switch yet. I am in Italy until October. I am just getting the parts together. My car is a 68 w/ 302, so it's a c4 vice FMX.

Does anyone know if single exhaust will work with the AOD?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
headers for swap

Anyone have any idea what headers I should consider for this should I switch out the manifolds. Also, money could be tight here, so if I have to chose one or the other, would I be better off to go with a dual exhaust setup using the stock manifolds or single with headers?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Personally i would go with the duals with the manifolds i mean headers really do not do much for a motor unless you are hitting high HP range, also the duals can be made to fit around the AOD
duals depending on mufflers wuld run in the 200-350 range.

I know i just had mine done...lol

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well Kirk your getting into a gray area. If you want max performance headers will help an engine breath and if you are planning a 4 barrel swap they will go nicely with that setup. If you plan on going with a hp cam at some point then you definatly should go with the headers. If you are just looking for a nice looking/sounding car and are not interested in racing the duals and 4 barrel would do the trick. As far as which headers to choose I would only be able to give my opinion on the hooker comps and I already told you about my only problem. I really have no idea if the single will work but I probably will.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
american thunder

Anyone know whether the flowmaster american thunder system will work with the stock manifolds and an AOD? Also anyone used the flowmaster kit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts