Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I swap the C4 in my 68 XR7 for a 4R70W?
I need an AOD behind a mildly built 351W. I'm not sold on the early AOD. Even with expensive upgrades I'm not convinced the older AOD is worth the financial investment. From pervious threads it sounds like there's some experience with 4R70W swaps. Please offer insight.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
the 4r70w is computer controlled so in order to run it you have to use an expensive stand laone controller. baumann engineering makes one as does, IIRC, TCI

here is a link for baumann controller, but be aware that you also have to retrofit a throttle position sensor for this to work as well, shouldn't be hard to do just one more thing to add to the list

http://www.becontrols.com/products/tcs.htm

the controller is $425 bucks plus you need the wiring harness which i couldn't find a price for.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
the TCI controller is about double the price of the baumann piece but there is a paddle shift kit out that will work with the TCI controller if you wanted.

TCI site

http://www.becontrols.com/products/tcs.htm

paddle shifter site

http://www.twistmachine.com/

all in all, i think i'll stick with a built AOD, personally though the 4r70w might be doable with my planned holley commander 950 pro-jection system, since i'll be using the timing control feature too, might as well upgrade to a computer controlled trans while i'm at it. :)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i should add that if you get the shrifter kit it comes with the TCI controller already and for a crb equipped car the price is only $1300 not bad considering the TCI controller is almost $1000 of that

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Karl Baumann is the one that turned me onto the idea of going with a 4R70W instead of an AOD.After pricing upgrades for an AOD it is more economical to get a 4R70W and the Bauminator cotroller. The catch is, like metioned above the throttle position sensor and finding a 4R70W that will match the bolt pattern of a 351W. Can anyone help with what year and model with a 4R70W that will work on my 351W? I did locate, locally, a 98 2wd Bronco with a 5.0 that migth work for $550. I need to visually confirm.
I have also found this neat little gadget for carbs http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16284&cat=265&page=3
I'm going to check with Baumann to see if it will work with the Bauminator.
What items are needed for installation?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Karl Baumann is the one that turned me onto the idea of going with a 4R70W instead of an AOD.After pricing upgrades for an AOD it is more economical to get a 4R70W and the Bauminator cotroller. The catch is, like metioned above the throttle position sensor and finding a 4R70W that will match the bolt pattern of a 351W. Can anyone help with what year and model with a 4R70W that will work on my 351W? I did locate, locally, a 98 2wd Bronco with a 5.0 that migth work for $550. I need to visually confirm.
I have also found this neat little gadget for carbs http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16284&cat=265&page=3
I'm going to check with Baumann to see if it will work with the Bauminator.
What items are needed for installation?

finding the trans is the easy part. i believe the 96 (98?) v6 mustangs are a bolt in as far the bellhousing pattern. i'm pretty use they only made one case for the 4R70W so it doesn't really matter if it's a truck case or whatever, i was gonna do a 4R70W that's what i would use.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are awesome when it comes to this stuff; Thanks
Hope I can return the favor to you guys sometime down the road or maybe someday to a greenhorn like me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've done both AOD and 4R70 and can tell you that the 4R70 is THE ONLY WAY TO GO!
It's a case of the later the better with this trans too. That '98 Explorer 5.0L trans that you found is a good choice for a smallblock pattern case.
In fact I have a Hughes built 4R70 from a 4WD 5.0 Explorer version in my '93 Range rover with a 351w. I use the Baumann Optishift controller too and it works great!
As bnickel says, a 4.2V6 4R75w from say an '07-'08 F-series has the same smallblock pattern and is a good choice for you also.
Karl will tell you need to decide on a trans before you buy the controller due to impedance changes on one solenoid in particular.
Btw a paddle shufter works with the Baumann controller too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
You can also go all the way and covert the engine to EFI and have transmission control all in one package.

I would call Holley and see if they will substitute the 4R70W harness for the GM trans harness. The Ford trans is supported in the ECU, but for some reason Holley doesn't offer that specific combination as a single part number.

Andrew

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes and tuning support for EECIV and V is now much better so you can use a 1/4Horse from Moates and reprogram an EEC that controls both engine and trans with all the benefits of the factory system.

Reactions: ndtorque
1 - 13 of 13 Posts