Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes question #2 for tonight. I want to replace the rear trans. housing seal. The one that is supposed to fit is very different from the original seal. The rubber on the original seal protrudes about 1 1/2 inches...on the new seal, it only comes out a bit. Probably does not make much of a difference but I would like to make sure before I do the work....hate to do things twice (or more!). Can anyone help?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Probably not a big deal. Did you get it from Ford? They probably still make it or have it. If you bought it at a parts store, check with another one to see if it's different. If that's no help then ask a tranny shop or ask cougarAOD, he would probably know.

Bert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I had a closer look at the seal and saw that the exterior protrusion is not actually a seal...more a protective boot. there is an inner seal that resembles the replacement that I have. Now there must have been a reason why the Ford engineers came up with this design? Is there an advantage to have this "boot", are these original seals even available?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
rear seal/boot

The reason for th elong dust boot on the original seal is because the Ford engineers didn't want warranty repairs.

OK, let's think about this for a minute. That long boot keeps the dust and dirt and other grunge away from the actual seal itself. If'n the driveshaft itself is constantly moving in and out of the tranny tailshaft (that's why it has a spline joint boys and girls), that grunge will be tearing up/wearing out the seal portion itself. With that dust boot, it keeps the driveshaft yoke cleaner in the seal area. Therefore, the seal itself will last longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts