Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tranny went bad the other day, so i pulled it out, and bought a rebuilt C4 out of a buddys truck, however it will not take my slip yoke on my drive shaft, can i change the rear houing on the trannys to make the truck tranny work???

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If the truck the C4 (C5) came out of had a 2pc. drive shaft the output shaft as well as the tail housing will have to be swapped.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sweet glad it will work! hopefully i will have it running again....sometime soon. Thanks, appriciate it!
You do realize what he told you means take the entire trans apart (to change the output shaft) and put it back together (with your tail shaft housing), right? The output shaft goes in from the front og the (empty) trans case and the tailshaft housing goes on (over the output shaft) from the rear. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
305 Posts
To put the job in perspective, you can click this link and see that the last shaft in the transmission (output shaft) comes out last through the front of the transmission after practically the entire transmission internals have been removed. http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/message/1318599090/Question

If you are up to a little challenge it is not such a bad job. Just take pictures when coming apart with it and take your time putting it back together.

John

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I would thoroughly investigate this swap. You'll have to use a larger flexplate (164t), you'd need to swap the shift linkage and the internals may not all swap out. Your old C4 is a pump mount bell, the truck transmission is a case mount bell.

·
Registered
913 Posts
my tranny went bad the other day, so i pulled it out, and bought a rebuilt C4 out of a buddys truck, however it will not take my slip yoke on my drive shaft, can i change the rear houing on the trannys to make the truck tranny work???
What the hell am I missing? Why can't he just change the yoke on his drive shaft to one that will fit?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Because the rear yoke on a truck transmission is stationary and doesn't slide in and out like a slip yoke on a car transmission.
I was thinking the same thing. That is if everything else fits and works ok.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well, evidently I did not know that!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts