Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK... I don't have the 67 manual... Where is the G. D. nuetral switch on a 67 C4? Cat starts in nuetral but not in park...:angryfi: I adjusted the shifter for correct operation, now she won't start in park! starts fine in nuetral...

Also anybody got a good trick for setting up the auto choke?

Don

·
11,000 Posts
Tranny switch

The switch is mounted on the transmission behind the shift arm. It has two small bolts which attach it to the trans. Loosen the bolts and the whole switch rotates a few degrees for adjustment.

The best way to set the auto choke is with the engine completely cold, hold the throttle open a few degrees then adjust the choke blade where it is exactly closed. You may have to readjust it as the weather changes, it has a limited range of operation and works best when set up once for summer and again for winter operation. Fast idle can be set seperately if necessary.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi Don,

For the auto choke...I just followed the adjustments included in the rebuild kit and it worked fine on the first try! I could email the instructions to you if you want. It may help.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. I ran out of light last night..... Will give it a shot today as I have the day off..... (waitin' on the cable guy:angryfi: )

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your car was equipped with a fly a way tilt steering unit you may want to check that the door switch is functioning correctly. Also if your steering wheel is not locked down you wont be able to start your car in park either. Just a thought

Jon

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Went out Froday afternoon and finnaly got the choke setup. I started the cat in nuetral to check it out . Well it stalled out.. With out thinking I had put the car in park to let it warm up a bit. So when it stalled I just restarted it ....IN PARK:confused: It's been working great ever since.... Any way thanks ...today she gets a new modulator and a little carb work...

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts