Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a C4 that leaks oil at the yoke. There is a rubber/plastic seal back there... is that just to keep dust out or is it supposed to keep the oil in also?
If not, can a leak like this be fixed without taking the trans out?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The oil seal at the very end of the transmission - where the driveshaft goes in - is replaceable. The replacement may or may not look like the original, most replacements are just flat seals like on the front of the crankshaft behind the harmonic balanacer, and do not have the rubber "boot" that extends out fronm the tailshaft.
A word to the wise - jack up the rear of the car as high as you can (and support it with jackstands) to keep the ATF from flowing out on your head when you R&R the seal! :p:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should be OK if I replace the rubber "boot" then?

I was counting on having to drain the trans.fluid but thats not nessecery then if I keep the rear higher.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
No, you need t replace the seal itself. The boot really doesn't hold the fluid in the trans. The seal does that. Your replacemtnt seal probably won't have the boot section, but that's okay.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now I get it..... Doh!

Ok, I missunderstood you there... :)

Can you change the seal with the trans in the car?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Be patient, and make sure the seal goes in straight. Good luck, you wont have any problems.
Be safe.

Rick

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well what can I say... my dayjob really made short work of my plans to fix the leak. But yesterday I finally got the time to get started.
Jacked up the car, drained the ATF, took the driveshaft down and tried to pry the seal off/out... with very little luck...
Am I doing this all wrong?

Can you easily, with the trans still in the car, remove the "cone" and punch the seal out from inside? It didnt seem like the easiest thing to do when I was crawling around under the car...??

I also got the bushing/bearing that supports the yoke. Tought that it might be best to replace that to when I was at it.
Can this be replaced with the trans in one piece and still in the car or does this require the removal of the "cone" ???

Gonna try again this afternoon or tomorrow so if you can guide me a little I would appreciate it. As you can tell I haven't done much with transmissions before...

·
Registered
123 Posts
With the driveshaft out, take screwdriver with a large flat to it. Go from the outside on one side to the inside edge of the seal on the outside. Use the seal as the leverage point to pry it out. Just pry a bit and work your way around like that. You can't remove it by pulling on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, thats the way I was trying to do it, so I was on the right track then after all.
Since the seal didn't move while doing this and the only result I got was a bent flange (Is that the correct word?) I gave up after a while and decided to take a break and try another day with a litle more input... :)
But back to it, it seems.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Prying the seal out

Sometimes these seals are in really tight. I have found that a nice chisel (not wood) will help spread the load out further than a flat bladed screwdriver. I walk the chisel around tapping in and back at the same time. Eventually the lip will start coming up.

Since you can *remove* the tailshaft cone you might try that. Beware that you will need to support the trans under the pan and will need a rear tailshaft gasket.

I use this method on FMXs, AODs, and C6's. Never have done a C4 before.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts