Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I purchased a C4 tranny from Redneck performance wayyyy back when, and anyways i've finally had some time to get back to wrenching on my car. I put the tranny in and everything is good to go except my got damn cooling lines. I researched and researched and it seems c-4's use either a 1/8 npt or 1/4 NPSM for the newer models. I tried a 1/8" way too small, ordered the- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-925137/ - and initially it seemed like it was gonna work; started it by hand felt a little snug and started to tighten it and booom the pos fitting falls out and I cracked the damn housing where the fitting was screwing into

So i'm stumped? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Also am I royally screwed? Think I can get away with it not leaking once I do find what the right size fitting is? I've attached a pic for your reference. It's maybe an 1/8" crack so i still have a decent amount of thread to screw in. But if i'm screwed how do i go about fixing that? Thanks again for any help...

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
Do you know if that is the "pressure side" line? You might want to contact a transmission shop in your area for a "new" correct fitting. I wouldn't try to put that one that screwed you back in again, unless you use a thread file and get it all spiffed up. Also, it wouldn't hurt to go and buy a bottom tap and chase the threads before you re-install the new fitting. I am hoping that it is the return line (and not the pressure side) if it is just the return line, some JB Weld on the threads (becareful not to get any in the orrifice where it could block flow, but be sure to get some into the crack both inside and outside. also, clean it before applying JB Weld with some lacquer thinner) and re-tighten, but don't overdue it. Snug will be good enough on the return line. Let the JB Weld set up completely before driving it. Hope that this helps.

I always look at things like this when it happens, that there is a turd out there floating around in the world and today it just brushed up against you, just be glad it didn't splatter all over you! :)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
5/16" w/typical flare ends (some truck trans are 3/8 I think). You can buy the line all over the place but I think I bought a 25' roll from summit and used it when I put my AOD in. You can bend it with a simple tool that will not kink it or some guys use a bottle/glass/pipe to bend it against. You will need a flare tool if you want to rebuild it - or you can buy lenghts already flared and just use compression fittings to join them....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
IN the picture it isn't clear, if that is the line at the "front" of the trans, or twoards the rear. If it is the one towards the rear, then I had a similar problem. Mine had a 90 degree elbow, pointing towards the ground, and was missing. It is also an inverted flared fitting. I ended up finding one at true value of all places, for like 5 bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts