Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a C4 in my cougar right now and was wondering it it bolts up to a windsor, I only here folks here really mention a FMX to a 351W?

Also I know the FMX tranny works well but it has a cracked Bell housing, If the C4 bolts up to the block can I swap bell housings from the C4 to the FMX?

Thanks In Advance.

Tad.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Tad,
i think the bolt pattern is different on the tranny where they bolt to the bellhousings. If you need a FMX bellhousing or a FMX tranny ask steve aka SIXT9COUG he just parted out a 70 cougar and still has the FMX from the car. He is located in NORWALK CA so it be worth a shot to hook up w/ him and see what you 2 can do
thanks
pat

·
Registered
588 Posts
The FMX and C4 with both bolt up to a 351W. The key is that the C4 must have come from another small block (289, 302, 351W or even a 351C). The 6 cyl C4 has a different bell housing pattern. I have heard that there are some truck C4s that do not line up unless you change the bell housing. I just put a C4 from a 71 Torino 351C in to replace my 69 FMX that died. It bolted up without a problem, but I did have to use the C4 yolk and a different transmission support.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Don't bother with the FMX.

In their 12/02 issue, Car Craft did an article (FORD AUTO TRANSMISSION GUIDE - Part 2 of our auto tranny series examines the Blue Oval offerings; ) on Ford Trannys and indicated that the C4 & C6 have plenty of aftermarket kits to improve performance and support more ponies. There are little or no FMX upgrades.

If you've got a C4, then you're better off upgrading it rather than swapping an FMX.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I will say this
i have a fmx in my 70 convertible and in my 70 eliminator. When i had my engine rebuilt in the 70 convertible the stock fmx tranny wasnt rebuilt. I put that tranny thru some serious hell and i will say that tranny still shifted really good. But there are a few mods you can do to them . 1 you can buy a shift kit from Trans Go(although the shift kit in my fmx now was already installed) and a TCI break away stall speed.But the disadvantages are 1 its heavier then a c4/AOD and you cant put full length headers on a 351c if you got a FMX cause its wider then a c4.But if its built right it can take some punishment.But the FMX is staying in the convertible. And as for the eliminator a AOD is going into that 1.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I agree. I have an FMX in my '69 convertible and I have no intention of swapping until I go to the AOD.

But, TLogan53 said that his Cougar has a C4 in it. Given that the C4 is already in, why swap? He can build a better faster, stronger C4 that's more efficient and lighter than swapping in the FMX. Keep in mind, I'm only commenting on the Car Craft article. Their the ones that stated that the FMX has the least potential of the C4, FMX or C6.

Also, TLogan53 has a 351W, and full length headers will fit with either the FMX or C4. Apparently the Cleveland is a bit narrower than the Windsor.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Definately build the C4 then.
My buddy in RI has a 69 w/ a 351w that has about 450-475 hp and has a c4 and it does handle pretty good w/ the built motor. C4 then i will say
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
BTW, when you get the AOD in, let us know how it works out. You know, the effort, cost and, ultimately, the performance (is it worth it).

I've read many articles on it, but haven't read many first-hand results.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
CA
ask mark piechowski aka FIRSTELIMINATOR he is the AOD tranny expert here (he also does it for a living) he has a AOD behind a 460 and its pretty awesome. Ask him about the performance on them
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Tad, you if you say you have a good working FMX then by all means just find a new bellhousing for it and use it. Whatever anyone else says about the c-4 just remember that Ford only used it on 302's and smaller engines for a reason. Now before everyone get's worked up, I'm not knocking the C-4 and I know with work and money there great but the simple truth is from the factory the FMX is a stronger better trans.

The only two faults of the FMX have already been listed and thats the fact that upgrade parts are harder to come by and there heavier since they use a cast iron case and have bigger heavier internals.

A FMX bellhousing should be easy to find if you look around. If not let me know I can get one. mm

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What do you mean you can't use full length headers with an FMX? I've run long tube hedmans on my 351C, with an FMX, with no problems. I also know of more than one '69 cat with 351W and FMX that are also running long tube headers.

Also, the AOD is very similar weight wise to an FMX.

Yes, there is much more of an aftermarket for a C4. But, the FMX is a strong unit.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Big engines and FMXs can work just fine

Here's a pic of a 71 Mach 1 with its original FMX, but it now has a 484-inch stroker in front of it.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=727&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

The car was originally a 351C-2V/FMX/2.75 geared 9". It is now a 484/FMX/4.11 geared 9". We used the bellhousing from a 351M/FMX that was in my old light duty 78 full size LTD wagon.

This car runs 10.90s-11.00s. He's running the FMX because 'they' said it shouldn't be done. It has only been rebuilt once, when he made the mistake of a starting line launch in 2nd gear. Only one rebuild in the past 30 years isn't doing too bad, eh? Other than that, it has just a plain old shift kit and high stall converter. The aftermarket places still have high stall converters for FMXs, they just don't advertize them since the market isn't there.

The FMX is stronger and will take more abuse than a C4. The clutches are bigger and the case won't twist or warp like C4s are prone to do. The internals of the FMX have a center support bearing like the GM TH400. It is the only Ford trans that has one. That means that the internals will stay in alignment better and won't get twisted out of shape.

Yes, the downside of the FMX is that the aftermarket parts availability is not as good as the C4 or C6. You can't get any real hard-core racing parts for them. You can't get a trans brake for them. But, you really don't need them either!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts