Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my transmission the kick down lever is not working.I dont even have the linkage for it.Is this some thing I can fix?I'm going to start working on the bottom.It shifts OK when I'm driving but I gotta do the manual shift to do it.If the PO had a stall tourc. put in it would that make a difference?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are you missing the rod that goes from the carb to the kick-down lever on the C6 or is the kick-down lever on the C6 missing/non-functioning ?

If you are missing the rod from the carb to C6 you can buy a used one and install it. With a std carb or a Holly (for Ford) there is a place for it. Edelbrock carbs need an adaptor.

If the kick-down lever is turning freely in the C6 the spotweld inside is broken. If you take the pan and the valve body off you can get the kick-down arm and its rod inside the C6 out. It doesn't look doable, but its is. Then take the arm and rod inside the C6 to a transmission shop where they can line the parts up against the other C6s on the shelf and weld them back together. Then put it all back together.

I did this 2 years ago and have not had any related issues since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey Dan,

You say it shifts when you shift it manually, do you mean if you put it in drive it'll take off in 3rd gear from a standing start? It isn't supposed to do that unless it has a manual valve body. Or do you mean to make a forced downshift you have to move the selector back to 2? You should have the kick down rod, but you can get by without it.
What is a "PO"? Unless you have a longer duration camshaft, you don't need and wouldn't want a high-stall torque convertor. The highstall convertor will slip more allowing the engine rpm's to rev up higher before building enough pressure to overcome the weight and other forms of resistance of the car. A high stall convertor will make a difference, but for street driving, it is a difference towards the worse. For drag racing a high stall convertor will allow the engine to get the revs up quicker to get the car off the line faster.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Martin- I'm curious as to what shop you found on Maui to do transmission work like this! (I had to take mine to the Texaco on Wakea by MCC -- that's now gone I think -- to get my valves "unstuck" by the guy that all of my contacts knew as the "Ford auto tranny guy").

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dan, CougarAOD is right in that a stall torque conveter will make a differance. All Torque converter have a stall speed, it's just that stock torque converts are at like 1500 rpm. I run a 3600 RPM stall in my 67 which is a little bit on the radical side. But I can still get it to kick down. I just have to be below the rated stall RPM's in high gear, i.e. 2500 rpms. so yes, the stall torque will have an effect, but will it prevent kickdown? It can. depends on what the converter is rated at and the rpms your turning when you try. But if you don't have the linkage it will never kick down, but it should not be a problem for you to fix. Just my .02

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny lever

Like I said The kick down linkage is gone.All I have is a lever(L shaped) that goes in the tranny.Its only purpose right now is it holds the nutral switch.When I take off the switch it slide right out.I did find a linkage not a problem.I have acsess to another C-6 Its from a 79 lincoln Mark IV.If any one knows if those parts are compatable I can use them.AHHH winter projects.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts