Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a c-6 lying aroung, what i want to know is how much it would be to rebuild this trans for my cougar, if it is out of my budget would it be worth my while to try to do a rebuild on my own, the technical aspect doesn't bother me, i wouldn't mind lerning how to do it. Does anyone have any experience in this issue? thanks for all of your feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I had one for my 69 390 cougar rebuilt 2 years ago for under $600 localy. First thing you need to know is there is 3 defferent C6 cases. 1 for FE big blocks (390/428) 2 for 385 big blocks (429/460) and 3 the small block (302/351)
A C4 is a good trans for a small block and will only cost about the same to rebuild. If you have a C4 now you will need a C6 crossmember. A FMX crossmember will work. If you have a C4 now you will also need a C6 or FMX slip yoke for the drive shaft.
I'm sure that there are some other things I've forgoten here. It's been a few years sence I swaped to a C6 from a FMX. I ended up swaping back in a FMX when the C6 started sliping. I can't beleve it but it's been over 5 years sence I put in that FMX and it's still working fine. It was a used unknowen unit to boot!
Good luck, Neal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
C6 Trans

I believe the drivehsaft length is different from C4 to C6. I don't know about FMX since I have a '68.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I knew I had forgoten somthing, The C6 is longer than a C4 and FMX. I had to have a drive shaft shortened for it also. This can cost some cash. Neal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
One thing about the C6 too, a lot of aftermarket parts won't fit it, like headers and whatnot.

I'd take that into consideration...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody, i guess i'll get the c-6 rebuilt and install it , it seems like the simplest and less costly solution for the time being. thanks for all your help.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Tranny rebuilds

I usually do my own. There's really nothing to a stock rebuild. You do need a couple of specialized tools though. I made my own. I have a selection of thrust washers and other select-fit parts 'in stock' to get the trans back into factory spec. (This supply is what my wife sometimes refers to as 'that junk'. What? My 'treasures' junk? ;)

Around here (Cleveland, OH) there are a number of cheap rebuilders. The last time I had a TH-350 done in the wife's old 74 Monte Carlo, it was $225 installed. Can't beat that price with a stick. Of course that was fifteen years ago! Pick up a copy of your local Tradin' Times or whatever city/regionwide trader magazine you have in your area. There's usually a number of shops that will do the job for cheap. Some will even upgrade using a shift improver kit, etc for a small additional charge. Most rebuild shops will also give some sort of warranty, too.

Heck, the rebuild kit usually costs around $75, then add band, modulator, and fluid. By then you're talking $150. Add any other hard parts (sprag, etc,) and you're already at the cost that the shops charge. And then you still have to worry about installation!

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts