Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My C-4 is having a hard time shifting. It shifts fine from 1st to 2nd but won't shift to 3rd unless the engine revving extremely high. It shifts normally when done manually and the fluid level is good.

It just started today as I was on my way home. I started shifting hard. I drove it again a couple hours later and it started taking longer and longer for the 3rd gear to engage.

Over a month ago, I installed a B&M Shift Kit and it had been working perfectly. If it's related to that, it waited awhile before starting to mess up.

I've looked around and it seems that a few others have had the same issue but have yet to find a cause.

Nothing is obviously wrong and I haven't a clue as to what is wrong. I'd take out the valve body and take a look but I don't have the tools or anything to lift the car. with:1zhelp:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had a similar issue with my C6, had to replace the vacuum modulator and all is fine now :smoke:

·
11,000 Posts
The kick down linkage on a '67 is not connected to the carburetor and has nothing to do with your problem.

You likely have the vacuum hose fallen off the vacuum modulator. Very common and causes the exact symptoms that you describe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was wondering about that. I had noticed that it didn't really connect to anything that would affect the transmission.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll check that. Thanks. Would that be a simple enough replacement? Is it possible it just needs adjustment or will it simply be bad?

·
11,000 Posts
Most likely the hose fell off or is cracked or melted on the exhaust pipe. Of course the modulator can be replaced, but they seldom fail. There is an adjustment, but your symptoms are not those of an adjustment being needed. This simply needs you to get under the car and look at the hose carefully from the transmission to the intake manifold. I suspect within 30 seconds you will see the problem.

I'll check that. Thanks. Would that be a simple enough replacement? Is it possible it just needs adjustment or will it simply be bad?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rubber hose.jpg

You weren't kidding about the 30 seconds. The thing was nearly split in half. It also seems like there's a patch on the steel tubing. A rubber hose is clamped around a part of it. I'm thinking I should probably replace the whole line from intake to transmission.

·
11,000 Posts
Glad you found it!

The metal line is available from Fine Lines or your favorite repro part dealer. The rubber line is a bent elbow, available from your favorite repro part dealer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do you know of any stores that carry a replacement rubber line? I can't seem to find anything on AutoZone, O'Reilly, or NAPA site so I imagine they don't stock them in-store either. I have a new set of rubber lines on the way but I need the car to be working this week (highway speed driveable). Is there a way I could patch it, maybe with some Gorilla tape?

Beyond that, how do I know which steel lines will work? All I can find are Mustang lines. Even those seem to vary in shape. Would either of these work?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/transmission-vacuum-line-v8-c4-ss-1967-1969/p/MUM1005S/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-mvt004s/overview/year/1967/make/ford/model/mustang

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
exactly - if the steel part is good and not rusted through........Just replace the rubber hoses. I always buy at least a few feet at a time since I often find myself replacing other stuff. mowers/carb/emmision crap/etc. No end to the need or uses.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tubing I have now has a patch on it. I'll probably end up replacing it sooner rather than later. If it already has a hole that needed patching, I would imagine it's only a matter of time till another appears. I'll be sure to pick up a few feet of the rubber tubing as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
exactly - if the steel part is good and not rusted through........Just replace the rubber hoses. I always buy at least a few feet at a time since I often find myself replacing other stuff. mowers/carb/emmision crap/etc. No end to the need or uses.....
Ditto, one of the first things I did when I got my vert is get a few feet of every diameter hose, saved me more than once mid project having to stop and run for parts :smoke:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well. Went down to AutoZone, picked up some tubing (actually got it free), and stuck it onto the transmission. All is well now and the Cougar is running perfectly again. Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
gotta like the easy ones...... ;>P

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Well you can't beat a free fix....... unless someone else fixed it for you....... FOR FREE!! :ylsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts