Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine is thought to have about 800 miles on it. FE 427 block from 1964. I'm told it's bored .30 over with a 428 crank...I haven't been inside the engine.

It was burning a fair amount of oil...guessing a quart every 80 to 100 miles. Under a load it would smoke pretty bad...mostly from the driver's side...but it did smoke from both tail pipes. The engine was wet on the head, timing chain cover, and on the intake.

Removed the valve covers and the cork gaskets were soaked. Pulled the plugs and they didn't look too bad except on 7 & 8, those two burned a lot of oil and one was just about fouled. Rockers were loose. Performed a compression test with the engine warm and #1 was 170 and all other holes were around 180 - 190. Removed the intake and each exhaust port had oil in it. The intake seal looked questionable. Made everything "sanitary clean"...intake didn't line up like I would have liked....ended up using about 2 tubes of silicone, good gaskets, and believe it's sealed pretty well.

It appears to be smoking as bad, even worse on the passenger's side (1 - 4).

I originally stopped at the gaskets because of the compression reading I observed. My question is; could the rings be bad with those compression numbers? Are there any other suggestions or tips before plucking the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds like either the rings aren't seated or oil is somehow getting in the intake. Does it have a PCV that could possibly be bad? or breather? Or maybe the valve covers don't have baffles in them? What thermostat are you running?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would think rings, Might have went oversize rings too but not .30 pistons? If it is using that much and smoking I would think refreshing would be in order. If it were my engine I would really question who did the work last and wouldn't feel right with out going through and checking.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
don't rip her apart yet---you need to make one mod and one inspection first----the first thing is to remve the rockers and restrict the oil to the top end--the oil passage is a 5/16 dia hole at about #2 an #7 rockers--take a piece of 5/16 rod about 3/4" long and put an .080/.090 hole thru it length wise---drop it in the hole and reinstall rockers--i ran .045 on a race motor and still had too much oil up top
you have pulled th intake so reattach one side with a gasket---no gasket or bolts in opposite side--check with feelers the gap @ the top of the ports and the bottom---ideal is equal but you'd rather be a little tighter @ at the bottom than the top--if you need to mill the manifold have your machinist take equal angle cuts from both manifild surfaces---alos make sure the bolts go thru the manifold with no binding---enlarge bolt holes as req'd---use silicon on the front and rear---about 5/16 bead and wait 45 mins before attaching the manifold---this allows the silicone to skin up and will not squirt into the valley area
my guess is bad valve(s/b p- teflon type and way too much oil up top---with .045 holes up top , the fe stroker motor woul fill the valve cover in a quarter mile
doctordesoto

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCV and hose are new. I did not replace the vent cap. No baffles. What's your thought concerning the thermostat?

I was thinking the rings may not be seated, but decided to start with the leaking gaskets. I was thinking with the compression numbers listed above and the fact that the oil pressure is fine (73 pounds while warming up & 20 lbs/1000 RPM) that the rings were seated......correct or faulty thinking?

I'm not positive, but Jack Tarner may have done the short block....I have the receipt for the heads and he performed the work.

Doc....don't plan to dig inside yet....a step at a time....thanks! With the method described above how does one validate the modifications?

THANKS for responding. It will be nice to get this solved so I can enjoy the cat.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
oil pres and ring seating have no corrilation to each other---try running the engine @ about 3000 rpm and look inside the breather holes in the valve covers --the fact that you have valve covers leaking , and are going to change the gaskets , why not pull the rockers then ?
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If there aren't baffles below the PCV or breather in the valve covers, then oil can easily splash up into them. I ask about the thermostat because it helps with ring seal. I built an engine once that I couldn't get to stop smoking. I had well over 1000 miles on it but it just would stop smoking. I never put a thermostat in it when I built it, and a friend told me that the rings wouldn't seat without heat. The engine ran at 160° without a thermostat, and thought he was full of it. I finally figured I would give it a shot and put a 195° thermostat in it. Within 2 miles of leaving the house, it quit smoking, and it never smoked again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulling the rockers isn't an issue....had to pull them to remove the intake the first time, when I replaced the valve cover gaskets and intake gasket....again....thanks!

I'm not sure what thermostat is in the vehicle, but it's an easy thing to change.

Now....it's finding the time to work on it between travel and family time.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Almost doesn't make sense the passenger side is burning the worst - yet the 7/8 plugs are showing the signs...? Something doesn't jive, but it sounds like to much crankcase pressure, or like the doc says, oil restriction may help. Wonder if they put the rings in with the oil ring slits offset....? I'd clean the plugs and re-evaluate that 7/8 are still truely showing the signs after you get the crankcase ventilated/PCV'd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts