Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,
I'm hoping you catophiles can help a newbie just getting started(and probably in over my head from the start).
I'm trying to buy a '68 Cougar that has a 351W slid down in the hole. The interior is BAAAAAD!!!!! Dash pad looks like it went through the landing at Normandy and the front seats aren't much better, the headliner is gone, but the backseat looks fair.
It drives straight and true, sounds fantastic and stops when and where you tell it to.
After telling a friend about this he gave me a '76 Cougar with a 351W in it. Auto tranny (c-4 or C-6 he's not sure which) with a 9 inch rearend in it. The problem is that he said the carb leaked and caught fire and because of that his boy parked it about two years ago and it hasn't moved since.
My question is: How difficult would ot be to rebuild the 76 engine and is it even feasible to put the car back on the road? I haven't seen the 76 yet as it is about 60 -70 miles north of me and I've been busy at work. From the way he described it, it didn't sound like a major fire but I'm assuming the worst and fguring on belts and hoses and maybe a wiring harness.
Am I about to get "burnt" on a project that should never be started or am I just seeing too much smoke?
Thanks for your input,
John B.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
No Offense to you or anyone else here, but after 73 the Cougars became the Ugly Stepchild! It sounds like it would be a good drivetrain donar or parts car but I dont think I'd venture getting it back on the road unless YOU really like it (Cause not many other people will!) If its free take it though for sure!
Just my 0.02
Scott

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yeah the 76 wouldnt be worth much either after it was fixed. might cost more than its worth to get back on the road if the wiring harness. vacuum lines and all the hoses are all replaced. thats assuming the hood and all the sheetmetal are all ok as well. which probably isnt the case. all in all its kinf of hard to find a late 70s Cougar or Tbird go for more than 2,000 out here. id say go with the 68. they will always be worth more even though it would cost more than the 76 to start out with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We had a 76 t-bird fun to drive if you like BIG cars. You might wanna see the car first but that thing is huge.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Get both, assuming the 68 is not a rust bucket.

That 76 will make a nice donar car, seats, motor, tranny, rearend(?). What you can't use or sell from the 76 you can scrap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input folks. This is turning out pretty much as I figured.
The '68 isn't in horrible shape,(except for the interior), and if left as is could still be a daily driver for 2 or 3 more years.
It does have bondo issues on the left rear quarter. It looks like someone took the time to do a decent job of filling rust or damage from an accident but it is now cracked and starting to flake off. They put a decent paint job on over the bondo so I know they cared at least a little bit.
The hood used to have a scoop on it,(wide at the front and narrow at the rear,Eliminator), but all that is left are the holes.
The rear turn signals don't work but there is a board with lines running into screwed to the trunk floor. The headlights open automatically but they have to be closed manually.
The trunk lock has been popped off but that should be a minor fix. I think it has a two barrel carb on it but I will have to look the next time I go over. If it is a two barrel, how hard will it be to locate a manifold for it?
Thanks again folks, I appreciate the help.
John B.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talk about bad luck.
The 76 was sent to the scrap yard the week before I got to it and the 68 had a bad engine.
Thats ok tho. I learned what to look for and am now biding my time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
1977 XR7

I really only have interests in 67 68 Cougars myself, but I have a 1977 Cougar XR7 with only 39,000 original miles. It's a pleasure to drive, like a new car in most all respects. A little large for sure but nice to drive......... Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts