Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much a Ford Racing Sportsman 351W stroked to a 392ci short block costs?? or how I can find out?? Also will it work with the trick flow twisted wedge heads?? Thanks a bunch. - Chad.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
392 prices

The Ford racing 2001 catalog (available through Ford or Summit for $5) lists the 392 long block assy with GT-40 aluminum heads @ 430 HP for $6295. The shortblock goes for $2995. I don't have any info on compatability with aftr market heads. :)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Chad, I think the short block is the way you want to go. Yes it would be nice to just bolt on in but there are way better heads than the gt40's, even more so for the big CI motor. The twisted wedge heads should be good but I dont know much about them other than that they moved the valves around on them and you have to watch your piston to valve clearnces. I read an article (I cant remember where) in which they took the same 392 crate motor and replaced the heads with a pair of out of the box AFR's ( 185's? I dont remember I will try to find it for you ) and the son of a gun made like 550 hp. There expensive but you dont have to touch them, just bolt them on. There are also the cast iron and aluminum world products heads and a slew of others available. I myself like the durability of the cast iron heads and they are much cheaper to begin with but for them to really flow like the expensive AFR's and others you will need to spend some bucks to have them ported, but in my opinion from my experiance they are more durable. I know some will disagree with that but thats OK thats why everyone has opinions.mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Also, Chad I have heard that Ford sells the crate motors with no warantee. :confused: You my want to look into a stoker kit from Jegs or Summit and buld your own wih a machine shop that guarantees their work.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your catalog has the prices in it?? Mine dosen't, or maybe it does and i just haven't seen them :( I'll check out those AFR heads right now. - thanks Chad

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah hey the prices are in the back... Man how could I have missed that? And to think for the past few months I've been trying to figure out how much the stuff was. - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hey Chad, what about the AFR"s? They sound like they would be the ticket dont they? mm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts