Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Cougar owners!

Purists forgive me.......

I have a 67 Cougar with a damaged roof that I have decided to make into a real convertible with what is left of a 68 Mustang convertible.

Sometime in the past I saw a picture of a Cougar with just such a modification. It was well executed and from what I can tell it would be a tasteful conversion to a car that Mercury should have built in the first place.

MY QUESTION: Has anyone out there done this, know someone who has, or has pictures of a Cougar that has been converted?

I realize that the car will need all of the convertible bracing. My real concern is the transition between the top of the Cougar quarters and the Mustang conmvertible sheet metal.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It's been done........

You should go to eGroups Classic Cougars. In the FILES section are 3 or 4 67/68 Cougar convertible conversions. One is by Kevin Marti. One of the list contributors, Stan, is working on one now. He's using a conversion kit from a Mustang supplier. Not an easy task! I think Mercury should have made it.

http://www.egroups.com/community/CLASSIC-COUGARS

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
67 CAT GT INTERIOR

HI. BRAD HERE IN NASHVILLE. I HAVE AN INTERIOR SET I AM SELLING AND IT MIGHT BE USEFUL IN YOUR PROJECT OR YOU MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE WHO COULD USE IT. IT'S A LIGHT GREEN INT INC FRONT BUCKET SEATS, REAR SEAT AND ALL FOUR DOOR PANELS AND ONE SIDE COWL PANEL. IF INTERESTED PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE PROJECT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Convert Conversion!!!

WVCAT,

Thanks for the convertible sheetmetal conversion. It is EXACTLY what I needed. I was trying to rework the rusty convertible sheetmetal that I had.

I am emailing them for additional info today.

Thanks again!

Eric

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Mustang Retractable

Eric, belive it or not this weekend at the James Dean Run I saw a Mustang coupe that had its roof converted into a trunk storing retractable. It was the damndest thing I have seen in a while and took a couple pics of it. If anyone would like to see them let me know and I will post them.mm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mustang Retractable

Mark,

Can you post those pictures of the retractable roof stang? I think it would be a cool conversion for a Cougar!

Was it similar to the 1959 (?) Galaxie? retractable?

Thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Eric, here are the two picks I got of the car. I went by it a couple times but never found the owner to ask him about it.
From what I could see the conversion is a manual operation and the trunk lid and roof were fiberglass pieces. It is close to being like a original retractable operation although only about 12" of the roof folded back on the original. If you cant read the license plate its pretty cute, it says TOP THIS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Here is the other one. I really admire someone who has the drive to pull something like this off. I dont really know anything about ragtops but I assume the rockers need beefed up to put some support back in the car when the roof is removed? mm

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
A friend and neighbor of mine has a 68 convertible.....it won "Best Interior" at the Williamsburg show this past June. I believe there is a picture of it at http://photos.yahoo.com/ragcat70

Let me know if you don't find it......his name is Virgil Brown. We live in St. Charles, MO He has a very nice XR7G that has done very well at shows as well. Good luck with your convertible!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Convert Pictures

Thanks for the pictures Modified Mark and Modified7.

The pictures and avice from all the members has been GREAT!

I appreciate the help guys.

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hardtop Convertible Kit

Guys,
I am wondering if you know of a place where i can buy the kit metioned here for my car. I have a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe soon to be maybe a convertible.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
modifiedmark said:
Eric, belive it or not this weekend at the James Dean Run I saw a Mustang coupe that had its roof converted into a trunk storing retractable. It was the damndest thing I have seen in a while and took a couple pics of it. If anyone would like to see them let me know and I will post them.mm
Someone is offering kits for this... I cant remember who though. It was in a "Mustang & fast Fords" a few months back. It was in the "restomod section."

·
Registered
121 Posts
I looked into doing this with my ’68 but I couldn’t find a cost effective Mustang ragtop on the west coast. 68XR-7CAT gave me some good information, he is building one now. http://webpages.charter.net/bpratt/ourcats.htm
In the end I found a ’67 Cougar shell and will use that to replace my roof.
I still really like the idea of a ’68 convertible, maybe for my next Cougar… please keep everyone posted.

I think the retractable kit is from Mustangs Plus.
<o:p> </o:p>
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Eric Pedersen said:
MY QUESTION: Has anyone out there done this, know someone who has, or has pictures of a Cougar that has been converted?

I realize that the car will need all of the convertible bracing. My real concern is the transition between the top of the Cougar quarters and the Mustang conmvertible sheet metal.
Eric, as already noted in the thread, I am having a '68 Cougar converted into a convertible. My project has benefitted from two donor cars.

One was a '67 Mustang convertible that donated it's folding top mechanism and a few other miscellaneous items.

The other was a '70 Cougar convertible that donated the top support structure between the rear seat and trunk. It also donated patches for the tops of the rear quarters to smooth out the body line where it rises into the roof.

The reason we took the support structure from the '70 Cougar is because the Cougar is narrower than the Mustang at that point, so the Cougar was easier to fit. Both will work fine, however.

Take a look at my webpages as they will answer a lot of your questions up front. For any others, feel free to PM me and I will get you a response as soon as I can.

Regards,
Bill

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
It is your car..........do with it what you want.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts