Votes: 2 20.0%
  • hell no i shouldnt

Votes: 1 10.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ive got a 1985 Mercury Cougar with a V-8 302 under the hood i know my car isnt near as sweet a car as all yall have but i have always loved Cougars for some reason or another i hope one day to have round an early to mid 60's Cougar but i know that will be a long time comen if ne one has ne ideas for me on what i can do to my engine to make it perform a 10 second Quarter mile (So i can laugh at all these ricers round my area) when i know most of em cant run like i want mine to run i am for now in the middle of given a paint job to it cause it got hit in the front passenger side and botched the fender header panel and front bumper all up while i was at a mall up in connecticut where i was stationed at at the time if i ever found out who did that to my car i would have a grand ol time with em but i know i never will so i try not to think about that so much i just know i have never liked dam yankee drivers since then i will most likely be done with that here in a few months though it will be painted a Midnight Metallic Blue with Silver Flake throughout it if someone has ne ideas for my body job or for my underhood work just let me know via either this or u could e mail me @ [email protected] but anuther thing that i have always loved about the few vehicles i have owned, which were a 1987 dodge omni charge(POS) and a 1985 Ford Ranger (also a pos cuz the previous owner treated it like A$$) but i finally wised up when i found my cougar, i have always put my own money into them with maybe a few loans from my dad but i did pay him back for that though maybe one of these days i will have a Classic Cougar like all of you i have seen on here talken about

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll suggest a good cam and intake setup. Kind of like the edelbrock performer or performer RPM power package if and when you can afford it. That engine has an infinite amount of aftermarket high perfomance gear for it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm, you want 10s?? you could do that but it probably wont be much of a street car anymore. and probably not with the 302 either. if you want to keep a 302 in it... id aim for like the 14-12 second range depending on what you want it to be. for a driver id say stick with the mid 13s- mid 14s. fast enough to dust most on the road still, although the bog boys out there will still take ya. i bet most people on here have cars that are in the 14-15 second range. my own one probably is a high 14 low 15 second creature, but i dont have any trouble with the rice. do you have smog checks out there?? if so umm, you are limited, but far as i know, some parts of Texas are exempt. if that is the case id go for a nice cam, with a performer RPM intake. budgetwise its probably the best way to go. if you have more money id get some better heads. 69 351W heads will fit on ( ALMOST a straight bolt on.. youll need some sleeves for the bolt holes ) and New 5.0L Explorer heads will also fit and actually make more power than the 69 ones. but they cost more. i have a spare set of 69 351W heads BTW.. lol not sure if ill sell them though. you will definatly benefit from a better axle ratio. a 3.50 rear end with a traction lok will benefit you greatly. esp with a car as heavy as the Cougar. there is alot of other stuff you can use but let me know about your laws and stuff some more before we get you all worked up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You will not be able to build a 10sec car, and still have it streetable.....you could drive it on the street but it would over heat very easily, plus you would hardly ever get into the RPM range needed on the street.
If ricers are your problem build a strong street engine from your 5.0. you could build it with about 8.5 to 1 compression, the proper cam, good intake, good exhaust, and bolt on a supercharger, or even a turbo. That would be all you need to beat your average(and above average) ricer.
Good luck with you build up,
Cody

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
mmfajoc said:
i hope one day to have round an early to mid 60's Cougar
Cougars went into production in 1967. Just some info....

Jeff

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There is a local guy around here that has a late 80's tbird with 5.0 mustang motor and 5 speed. His car hauls a**!!! That might be an easy way to get some performance outta that cougar. One nice thing about it is it looks stock under the hood...cool!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Nice crack about the Damn Yankee drivers. :angryfi: You know I just visited the great state of Texas in Dec, and coming through Dallas I swear they gave out a few too many license's to the local crack heads and drunken cowboy wannabe's too.

Not knockin Texas drivers, theres bad ones ALL over the country.mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
personally id just sell the car and get an old Cougar..... being in Texas im sure it wont be all that hard to find a rust free one. i know here in Cali its not that hard to find a running rust free one for less than a grand. it will need work, but hey.... projects are fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
modifiedmark said:
:angryfi: You know I just visited the great state of Texas in Dec, and coming through Dallas I swear they gave out a few too many license's to the local crack heads and drunken cowboy wannabe's too.

Not knockin Texas drivers, theres bad ones ALL over the country.mm [/B]

dont worry i dont blame ya bout driven through dallas out of all of the metroplex cities ive driven through dallas i will agree has got to be the worst one about haven crappy idiot drivers and thats also includen NYC,NY which is almost as bad but just a little bit less but i will agree personally i think that most of the dallas drivers ive seen on the road had to have gotten there liscence from a cracker jack box or sumthen laterz justin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to sixt9coug i dont think i could sell this one but do want an old Classic Coug

with as much work and as much hell ive had and put into this car i dont think i want to sell it due to the fact i know i wouldnt get my money out of it and also i have always wanted at least one hot rod built to my preferences with the body interior and engine and all............though i have wanted an old Cougar sumthen like alot of the ones i have seen on here ive been thinken of maybe liek a '68 or '69 model but if i was to get one of them i wouldnt want to build it up to a hot rod like i do want to do with the one i have being the fact that it is a Classic Cougar and all but i know (hopefully soon) i will have a Classic Cougar that will be fully restored with a clean body and all on itamd clean full interior thanks for the advise though it did take me a while to think about that though

laterz and takes it easy -justin

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
10's are going to be difficult, VERY difficult. Underneath, your Cat is a big 5.0 LX Mustang. But even they Mustang had the HO 5.0, your have the Lo-Po.

Check out some of the buildups on:
http://www.fordmuscle.com

13's are realistic, but not easy, without doing internal engine mods. How much $$$ do you want to spend? An AOD shift kit (a must) and 3.73s or 4.11 gears are a good step up. A Paxton or Vortex supercharger would get you in the 12s or 13s (with AOD mods and gears) and keep it streetable. Underdrive pulleys (but they may cause overheating) work. Ram Air helps. Traction will become a problem. Try COMP T/As or slicks.

A free flowing exhaust is a must.

Tim B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in response to tim b

yes i looked at that website you listed fordmuscle.com looken at there ram air testen and all i will end up putten ram air on it but i am wonderen now wether or not i could put a hood scoop on it, would that matter much if i did cause if i find out im about to put sumthen on my car that will hinder its performance i will not do it im just mainly wonderen if putten a hood scoop (preferable a shotgun bill style hood scoop) will help or not i would think that it would help with over heaten and all due to the fact more air being put into the engine compartment but ne how im still looken at some different stuff ive been told to check out and possibly get for it well ne how i thank ya for the advise and all still could use as much as i could get laterz justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts