Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(and convertible)

I'm looking for front and rear spring paint colors, driveshaft paint colors and shock paint colors. Should mention I need this for a non-competition suspension car.

Can anybody help with a scan of or just the colors indicated on their sheet?

Most Appreciated!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe -- I may have one in the shop; if you can give me until the morning, I'd be glad to see what I might come up with.
Jim
No problem, Jim- I'd appreciate the reference. The sheet I found in my car is from another car on the line and is nearly illegible but for the VIN. Have to post that VIN, though, in case it belongs to someone here in the forum. That would be a cool story...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Joe -- I do not have a build sheet for a 4 speed car. That said I do have 4 for ones with the FMX. Two of those are the same (568242 & 584535) as follows: Rear Springs = RDVIBR code L; Front Springs = VIOPNK code 3; Front Shocks = Gray code J; Rear Shocks = Green, no codes listed. The other two are: (573615): Rear Springs = RDVIBR code L; Front Springs = VIGLD code L; Front Shocks = Gray (J); Rear Shocks = Green, no code. And last but not least (569035): Front Springs = Yellow, code N; Rear Springs = Yellow, code U; Front Shocks = White, no code; Rear Shocks = Yellow, no code. Hope this helps at least a little bit.
Jim

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My original front springs were violet-gold and the rears were red, light brown, white (and I reproduced them both). Pictures on my ECI thread.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Joe -- I do not have a build sheet for a 4 speed car. That said I do have 4 for ones with the FMX. Two of those are the same (568242 & 584535) as follows: Rear Springs = RDVIBR code L; Front Springs = VIOPNK code 3; Front Shocks = Gray code J; Rear Shocks = Green, no codes listed. The other two are: (573615): Rear Springs = RDVIBR code L; Front Springs = VIGLD code L; Front Shocks = Gray (J); Rear Shocks = Green, no code. And last but not least (569035): Front Springs = Yellow, code N; Rear Springs = Yellow, code U; Front Shocks = White, no code; Rear Shocks = Yellow, no code. Hope this helps at least a little bit.
Jim
Great information. Where these cars AC cars? I have pictures of the markings and the build sheet that VIOPNK for the fronts but different colors for the back. Does the order matter? My back springs have red in the middle and lighter colors on the end (not sure what they are). Will post pictures when I can.

As for the shocks where they painted black with a dot marking the color?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great information. Where these cars AC cars? I have pictures of the markings and the build sheet that VIOPNK for the fronts but different colors for the back. Does the order matter? My back springs have red in the middle and lighter colors on the end (not sure what they are). Will post pictures when I can.

As for the shocks where they painted black with a dot marking the color?
I believe the shocks were black in the majority of cases (alt was a deep blue) and the buildsheet colors were little daubs of paint at the lower connection points, over the black (or deep blue).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim
Jim-

Thanks, and just to confirm, the four buildsheets worth of data you quoted: they were all M-Code, xr7 convertibles?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Joe -- Your original post didn't say anything about converts, and neither did I. In vin number order the first two are H code XR-7s, the third is an M code XR-7, and the fourth is an H code XR-7. Now to the next question -- AC -- the first and the last are AC cars (and on the build sheet the code for AC in the box is "M".
Jim

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe -- Your original post didn't say anything about converts, and neither did I. In vin number order the first two are H code XR-7s, the third is an M code XR-7, and the fourth is an H code XR-7. Now to the next question -- AC -- the first and the last are AC cars (and on the build sheet the code for AC in the box is "M".
Jim
So this one below, the 3rd sequential vin you mentioned, is the Mcode xr7, no air (yet an Hardtop w an FMX)? Great, thanks. Ill just have to confirm the conv received nothing different than the HT...

(573615): Rear Springs = RDVIBR code L; Front Springs = VIGLD code L; Front Shocks = Gray (J); Rear Shocks = Green, no code.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Here are some pictures from my XR7 M code with PB/PS/AC hard top

Hard to tell what colors are in the picture. The front you could tell were pink and violet. The backs are two light colors on the ends and red in the center.

Also there is a picture showing how the two backing plates that are used for the windows get painted. The plates are painted body color and the bolts attaching them are not. So they put the plates on the cowl and painted them with the rest of the body. A cool find.

IMG_5283.jpg IMG_4962.jpg IMG_5291.jpg

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Stu- the cowl paint thing is a pretty interesting mystery solved, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts