Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still can't believe the magic this guy can perform..Wait till they get a load of Gunner in Scottsdale.. ;)

She's all "bare" right now. Cutting and polishing done, now time for "glaze" and then wax..

Baby Steps

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
In the words of Ted Nugent (Wango Tango):

I gotta buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up, buff it up,
Yeah, shiny now baby, heh heh heh

Looks great man. How one could do what you've done and then sell, I'll never understand. Yeah, I know, 401K, but still, I couldn't, wouldn't, etc. They'd have to pry my rigormortised fingers/hands from the steering wheel...

·
Registered
210 Posts
The purple tape is a nice touch! lol :rolleyes:

Looks awesome!!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Jim - you keep rubbin it like that and you'll go blind.....errr I mean we all will! Looks awesome from 1500 miles away.....can't imagine close up!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jim - you keep rubbin it like that and you'll go blind.....errr I mean we all will! Looks awesome from 1500 miles away.....can't imagine close up!
Hehe..I see what you did there..

I was a bit worried about the "over restored" look..but the detailer pointed out that the painter did a very good job of keeping the pigment (red) "texture" under the clearcoat so that it doesn't have that "glazed" perfect look. It looks to have that slight Orange-Peel, but is silky smooth on the surface. The "show paints" are typically actually wet sanded down before the application of the clear, so it is reaallly deep and smooth and would look rediculous on a Vintage-type car (as opposed to a custom/show car)

Those flourescent lights really do a good job of showing every single blemish and scratch. That is a good thing and a bad thing ;). We found infinite spots that were not fully wet-sanded or areas that were bumpy/blistered/ scratched ..very easy to sand down ever-so-carefully with 2000 grit wet sanding (my job) and then buff out.

All of the creases and sheet metal bends were carefully taped off in straight lines, then sanded such that the lines were nice and smooth and straight. Bottom line was to keep any particular lines from "standing out".. Really cool work. Costly, but it should be well worth it!

One note from the Detailer re the Cougar: "This thing has an AMAZING amount of intricate sheet metal!!" He really loves the Cougars. But he's right-it is not a Camaro..the Cougar is beautiful for a reason ;)

Very happy with the results.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Missed a spot!

LOL

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lookin good. Can't wait to see it in person. Yeah, the blue tape looks kinda cool.
Mine goes in for the final detail Monday. Were gona havta have a cold one together when we get together at BJs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great. Are you trailering it down here yourself?
No..I don't have the nerve, and the time savings will be nice. I'm using the same fellow that Don hired last year for the Red 'vert..

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin good. Can't wait to see it in person. Yeah, the blue tape looks kinda cool.
Mine goes in for the final detail Monday. Were gona havta have a cold one together when we get together at BJs. Good Luck.

Oh at least one, Steve ;) Say, I never got an email thru to you, but sent a PM. Did you get my phone #? It's 503-874-3039. Holler at me whenever you want!

B

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Stunning Brian. I can't wait to see it in person in AZ. Should be very exciting. 3 cheers to you!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts