Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expermenting with early Mazda RX7 headlight openers. Here's the sweet thing, you need three wires to operate it. One gets power all the time. For the other two you need a relay that feeds power to one with the relay off and the other wire when the relay is on. Then hook the relay to the headlight switch. Then when the headlights are on they will open and as soon as the headlights go off the doors close, automatic, simple and slick. I could scan the diagrams if anyone is interested. The electrical part is easy, all yopu have to do is fiqure out how to mount the motors. I'm going to use the RX7 motors, at this time I still want to build a custom grille and headlight doors, if not I'll hook the RX7 motors to the stock headlight doors.
Mark:D

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Bruce Habel did detailed description of electric headlight lifts on TCCN. I have set-up from Toyota Celica that will be going in the 69 some time in the future, using Bruces plans. I'm even toying with fabricating the lifts in an old vacuum motor and running the wires through the vacuum lines

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd like to see the diagram. Right now my dorrs will open, but won't close. I've looked ad Bruce's article and he says in it that he's unsure if that procedure will work on 67/68.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Please post the diagrams as relays and such are not my strong suite. My brother schooled in electrical engineering so I could get him to help. mm

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tell ya what, I'll sit down and draw it up tonite, it is EXTREMELY easy once you see it. Once you see the wirring it will make sence, the trick is those Bosch relays.
Mark

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a wirring diagram. This is for FIRST generation RX7 (83 and earlier) headlight door openers. After monday I'll get a part number for the relay. They're just plain old Bosch relays, there's several different types so to make sure you have the right one look on the side of the relay, the diagram for the relay usually on the side of it. For a quick explanation. The case is ground. The Red wire with a White stripe supplys power for the motor. The Red wire makes the doors open and the Red with Yellow stripe wire makes them close. What the relay does is supply the Red/Yellow wire with power when the lights are off (It's alright to have power all the time because there's a switch inside motor that turns the power off once the doors are completly closed). When the coil in the relay is turned on (it gets connected to the headlights) it turns off power to the Red/Yellow and feeds power to the Red wire. This will open the doors. When the lights are turned off the relay switches back from supplying the Red wire and again feeds the Red/Yellow wire and the doors again close. The Yellow wire will feed power to a light that tells you the doors are open, I can't fiqure out why you would want that. If you can see the road and it's dark then the doors are probably open...........
Mark:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hey, at least when people tell me that they made a Cougar RX7 model..... now they wont be completely wrong lol.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
69 70 headlights

if i produced the bracketry for the 69 70 headlight mod would there be enough intrest and what would you be willing to spend? just thinking here i am making them for both my 69 and 70 and will work out the flaws i found in the design on tccn. Okay flaws isnt correct it is a good design but i will be able to make things out of much lighter material and bend parts so less welding if any will be needed. it will be out of a combination of aluminum and stainless. If there is enough intrest i will work at design and get a complete package and set up a price. what would you prefer finish it yourself or get it painted when you recieve it. remeber price goes up as manhours go up. in other words the longer i spend on each unit the more you will pay. polishing the billet or paint. all parts will come sanded on the edge and surface i am thinking right now. would you want the hardware as well or scrounge that for yourself? motor included would mean price would go up signicantly as new motors would have to be ordered from ford. a complete kit with wiring? give me some ideas people.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
day and night 2 vacuum cans on the 67 68 one on the 69 70

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
no thanks, not me. I am too much of a do it yourself type.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would be willing to pay for hardware for one that fits inside existing can and posibly wiring. I would go hunt for used motor and rebuild if needed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey I looked it up, the part number for the relay is, RY-30, this is a Standerd (that's the brand) part number.
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight relays

Bruce Habel did detailed description of electric headlight lifts on TCCN. I have set-up from Toyota Celica that will be going in the 69 some time in the future, using Bruces plans. I'm even toying with fabricating the lifts in an old vacuum motor and running the wires through the vacuum lines
Would you mind e-mailing the detailed description. I too have a '69 and would like to put this issue to rest asap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headlight relays

Would you mind e-mailing the detailed description. I too have a '69 and would like to put this issue to rest asap. My e-mail address is [email protected]<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

1 - 20 of 20 Posts