Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a "cat" problem but I was helping my new neightbor put plugs in his rebuilder Cheby and when we got done he said the low coolant indicator kept coming on....well, I opened up the rad and a big glob of brown goo was on the cap and fairly well on top of the fins too..? Checked the oil, it looks ok, checked the trans fluid=good. It doesn't smell like trans or oil either...IDK is it just the gunk/crap from the PO not changing fluids then..? My guess is it needs flushed out really good and the level sensor (float..?) can't operate in that goo. I've seen buildup in rads before but not like that..? IDK Reminds me of that nasty "mineral" water well I drank out of in colorado one time! LOL Won't make that mistake again!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd go with rust and antifreeze goo based on not changing the coolant. Flush, refill and keep an eye on it would be my tact.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
524 Posts
Its a possibility there was a leak at one time and somebody tried one of the "fix it in a can" solutions. I've seen these make some mess in the rad on several occassions. It will need a good flush.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kinda what I was afraid of..? I don't see any evidence of something that screams trouble though - the car was not well cared for for sure. Got a tip from Stu thinking they mixed the GM orange (last forever stuff - yeah right) and some green cheapy anitfreeze. I guess they are not very compatible. That sounds like what it may be....we'll have to flush it out a few times and see what happens. Thanks fellas!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
look it up, I had a gm once (and last time i will) and there are all kinds of write-ups on the net for the nasty problems from mixing the antifreezes and how to fix .

You might not like what you find, though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts