Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a water pump go out on my '68 302 and while removing all of the bolts one just twisted the head right off. After several days of WD40 and a large pair of vise grips I am still unable to get the stud to budge. Any ideas on how to get this removed so I can get everything back together?

·
Registered
457 Posts
heat it up with a propane torch and if you can tap it lightly on the tip and try the vice grips again. When you heat it it expands, then when it cools the rust breaks away. Be very careful that you dont loose whatever you have left of the bolt to hold onto.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Use a dremel tool to cut a slot into the top of what's left of the bolt. Then unscrew it with a standard screwdriver.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have talked to people who have "Use a dremel tool to cut a slot into the top of what's left of the bolt. Then unscrew it with a standard screwdriver" and had success. Maybe try something more than WD40 like PB penetrating catalyst which I have had success with. Its a very tricky situation to be in good luck.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
drill a small hole to one side and use a punch/chisel to tap/walk it out....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If the bolt was seized enough to allow twisting of the head off, no slot this or walk out that is going to work, sorry.

Question, which bolt is this, one of the short ones that terminates in the timing cover or is it one of the long ones that goes into the block? If it is the latter, you will be taking the timing cover off to get it out, sorry to say it is pretty much the only way. If it is one that teminates in the timing cover, you might have some luck using heat if you have a way to get a good grip on what's left of it.

Also, did it come out at all or twisted off right from the get go? If the former, you might do well to work on screwing it back in and work it from where it was able to move some.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am a PB penetrating catalyst convert! I was about to purchase a propane torch to heat the bolt out but was told by the salesman that I should try the PB first. Turned out I got the last can in stock. Followed his directions to spray the stud and then tap it a few times to help the PB start to work on the threads and then go away for an hour. An hour later and a good lock down on a large pair of vise grips and the sucker started to move. It took a while but I got it out! Now to get my new water pump on and back on the road.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
He shoots, he scores! Awesome for you, congrats.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WEEHOO! phew.....close one

·
Registered
945 Posts
Congrats ! :beer: As a former broken bolt alumni I know what a gut wrenching ordealthat is, now get that cat on the road this weekend and enjoy :smoke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts