Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually on my 74 Bronco that I just installed my rebuilt C4....The prior owner used some sort of bronze adapter that I tried to remove but broke off the head so I now have a sleeve of bronze inside the hole for the cooling line. Don't have room for a drill. Was thinking of a small needle file or mini hack saw...seen blades with teeth for Xacto knife maybe.....cut a slot and chisel out. Dunno. Too tight to remove with easy out and don't want to break that off in there! Any ideas? I have some working room but not enough for a drill unless I get one of those 90 deg things.... Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd consider dropping the trans or at least take the Xmember out to where you could get at it with easy out's. You really don't want to get any drill bit pieces internally either! IF you drill it load the bit up with grease to hold the filings. Same with a tap if you tap it out. Why did he have adaptor? - (I think truck trans vs. car trans sometimes had a different size cooling tube I guess). Either way it sounds like a PITA. Good luck. ---- Try heating the area up good before you easy out it BTW

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night I left it with a big dose of PB Blaster.....I can easily get an easy out in there but am terrified I'd break it off....it is my largest one, though. I've broken one before. Really have no idea why the guy used the adapter...the Ford one is steel with an o-ring...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
NFW, those are specified as being for wood and foam.

Try the biggest easy out, make sure it is a quality one, not Chinese and then know it's limits, i.e. don't put more force on it than it can sustain. If that doesn't work, take the trans out.

If this is one of those fittings that bottoms out on a shoulder with a sealing washer, the part left in there should not be tight and should be easily removed with an easy out. If it is tight then it was messed up by the person that was there before you.

Generally speaking, easy out's are not for anything that was tight enough to break the head off of trying to get it out. They are for things that broke from things like overtightening where the threads to the broken thing are not tight.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...my latest thinking is a small hack saw blade, two cuts and then chisel out or jam a screwdriver in and turn.........easy out isn't turning it.....don't know why this thing is in there so solid.......next thing will be finding that odd shoulder fitting with the o-ring.....anyone?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Hmmm boy IDK.....must have some galvanic corrosion going on I guess....usually enough heat with a torch can help to swell things up enough to give you a better shot at getting it out. I do this frequently with steel bolts in aluminum blocks/housings. If you have it broken off pretty even withthe casting I'd try heating up the area good and use a cold chisel to walk it around with. (Might need a long one) If you can get it to at least break free some the easy out may get it the rest of the way.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I now have a nice excuse to buy a nice 90 deg air drill! :eek:) Get that in the mail and try your idea first, drill second.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I don't think I want to heat that area up...pretty thin casing and who knows what seals and stuff is behind that area....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts