Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing quite a few Canadians on here that bought Cougars in the US. What were if any issues at the boarder. I'm hoping to buy a Cougar close to the boarder, is it possible to get in and drive across or have the owner drive across and sell me the car(proper ownership paper filled out I know) or is there other issues that need to be addressed first?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Watch where you cross, if interprovincial, you need a temp (transit)
My Bc transit covered 4 days, and if I hadn't made it, I have to get a new one in the province you are in in order to continue, and get proof of insurance

Jean

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can help you out with this, I have brought several cars into Canada. First off, You will need contact the US border crossing location that you wish to export the car from and find out if they have a export package. Some US customs locations do not and will only require you to fax a copy of the US title a minimium of 72hrs prior to presenting the car at US customs for export. US customs will have to stamp the original title with their export stamp. This will only happen after they do all their checks on the car and visually check the car and serial number at the border. Then all you have to do is present the stamped title along with a bill of sale at canadian customs and pay your taxes. (Remember to bring all paperwork along with phone numbers and contact information of the person you purchased the car from and any other documentation ie, bank reciepts to show amount payed to justify the sale with you) Then you will have to pay, usually only GST and then once you have the car in Canada you have to have a federal safety inspection done. With all this done you will then have to present the car to your motor vehicle branch with all your paperwork and pay any applicable tax and your car is now Canadian registered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Watch where you cross, if interprovincial, you need a temp (transit)
My Bc transit covered 4 days, and if I hadn't made it, I have to get a new one in the province you are in in order to continue, and get proof of insurance

Jean
Good point, If you are driving the car than you will definatly have have insurance. So check with your local motor vehicle branch. I usually trailer the car over so this is not a concern for me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I sold one to a member from Canada about a year ago, the day he was trying to get back home with it, the Border agents called me at home here in the midwest to ask the price that I sold it to him for, saying that he claimed a lower price paid, which wasn't the case at all, they had him going on a wild goose chase for something else while they called me. My one piece of advice is to be totaly honest about everything. I told them what he paid me and then they said "oh, yeah..I see that now". They were doing their job, but they sounded sneaky to me. He sent me the paperwork about a month early to fill out and return. Honesty always pays off, don't risk getting the owner or yourself in trouble. IMHO.

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I sold one to a member from Canada about a year ago, the day he was trying to get back home with it, the Border agents called me at home here in the midwest to ask the price that I sold it to him for, saying that he claimed a lower price paid, which wasn't the case at all, they had him going on a wild goose chase for something else while they called me. My one piece of advice is to be totaly honest about everything. I told them what he paid me and then they said "oh, yeah..I see that now". They were doing their job, but they sounded sneaky to me. He sent me the paperwork about a month early to fill out and return. Honesty always pays off, don't risk getting the owner or yourself in trouble. IMHO.

Jay
X2! absolutely. It can be frustrating enough as it is

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did this a couple years back and was pretty easy. My suggestion is to check with your insurance company about insurance and look for a broker to do all the paper work for you regarding customs. I think I paid about a hundred bucks for the broker. I drove across the border to the customs office they had all my paperwork there and 10 minutes later I was on my way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts