Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 cougar XR7 that I want to get back on the street again. It's been sitting in a garage for about 14 years, but I think it is a beautiful machine and I want to start restoring it. Ive been modifying 4 and 6 cylinder fuel injected import cars for 5 or 6 years now. So I'm not quite sure where to start with a 302ci carbuerated engine that has been sitting collecting dust for so long. I've removed lots of wiring and sanded down the connections, wd-40'd everthing with rust under the hood, and just generally cleaning it up. Just for ****s and giggles I ran a jump from another car to see if she would turn over. All I got was a RATATATATATATAT sound. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
not sure but it could be either the starter soleinoid or the starter itself( did you clean the contact on the starter?. Anyone else have any ideas? Hey, do you have any pic's of the car?

Steve:eek2:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
RATATATAT = Not enough electricity getting to the starter. If you're jumping from a six-banger or less, a straight just may not be enough to turn it over if it's been sitting a while.

I'd recommend changing the oil, and then prime the engine before attempting to start it. Stick a charged battery in there, replace the starter solenoid, and check the connections at the start itself like sensei says... :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome aboard!:D

As mentioned earlier it could be the starter or starter solenoid. It sounds like the ignition switch is O.K. since you're getting some sort of reaction when you turn the key. I would also check the ignition coil and the distributor. Since the car has been sitting for so long the contacts on the coil could be fouled or possibly dead. I'm also assuming the distributor is stock and the points could also be badly corroded. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
make sur the fasteners for the start solenoid are tight and have clean connection, sometimes the holes get to be too big and the fastener spins and spins, use a body hammer to tap the hole smaller, check the voltage on the battery. try by passing the ignition switch with a screwdriver, use the screwdriver to make a connection from the hot side of the solenoid to the first small post next to it on the solenoid. give it hell.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im actually surprised no one mentioned the battery cables. Replace the cables first (they are cheap enough to buy new ones, dont play around with the old ones). Check the points, change oil, make sure the rad is full, block the car's tires incase tranny is empty of fluid, make sure all wires are clean and contacts are good, and varoom, varoom. Good luck.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
All good thoughts guys. It's scarey though, I haven't really worked on my car or driven it in years and when he mentioned the sound it was making, wow, I remembered going thru that. Hey, check progress pic's of my baby's hopefully final restoration (had here for 25 years, even thru the divorce! I'll post in the photo gallery.

Steve:1poke:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I also forgot to mention to pull spark plugs, clean and re-gap, check spark plug wires too, and condition of cap and rotor.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If your old battery is deep cycled or has a bad cell, it could cause the voltage to drop below 11v during a jump. The bad battery will draw down the voltage and you will have problems like Logan said.

Dont forget to change your oil too. I'd bet its nasty after 14yrs of storage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I changed the oil and filter today. 10W-30, right? I think the battery is a goner, its been plugged in for 14 years. I'm gonna pick up a new battery and battery cables on friday and go from there. Luckily I live only minutes away from mustangs unlimited. When I get there I'm gonna pick their brains for info on the cougar while they pick my wallet for every red cent. Oh well, thats how it goes. :rolleyes:

Once I get her running, I'm not sure where I should go. Either restore her to factory condition, or modify the hell out of her. She has an automatic tranny mated to a 302 V8. What swaps would fit under the hood without too much trouble? 351, 427, 460? I know someone who has an old lincoln mark IV with a 460. Would I be able to shoehorn a 7.5 liter engine into the cougar? :D And what kind of manual trannies are available for the 460?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A 460 is not an easy swap. I intend to do one, but plan on doing a mustang II front suspension to do way with the shock towers. but it's still a big engine all over. Not sure yet if I can use a stock fan on it. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
a 460 is not an easy swap as mark said there is sheermetal modifications to be done not to mention if your wanting performance getting headers on it will be a real B. as to your tranny a toploader is your best choice. but a stroked 351 would be my recomendation save on the weight and enjoy a boost unless your planning on racing or a complete HP nut like some in here. I would first restore your cat do little modifications but keep it drivable then if you still want to, buy a second car and change it. to go big block you will need big block shock towers first then of course front end needs beefup then your rear end will need attention. Dont knock a 302 either great little motor and blue ovals equivelant to the 350 chevy. lots of parts for hot rodding and lots less weight and you wont have to go through the fenders to change the plugs. if your wanting more performance soup that baby up ad a shift kit to the tranny and boost the rear end gears up to the high 3's. i think you will find that this will be allot of fun and a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you go the route I went and restore the car, make sure you rebuild the engine COMPLETELY. This may sound like a stupid comment but my cougar sat in a climate controlled garage for 12 years. And when we got it, it had low compression on 4 of the 8 cylanders , and one burnt valve (from the guy trying to rev it after it had been clinically dead for over a year). But a rebuild is not so hard, just as long as you have the time on your hands. As far as mods go, if I wasn't going with a 460, I wouldn't go for a 427. A 427 is simply a de-stroked 460 (I think I got that right). But anyway, a 351 cleveland 4 barrel would be a good one. And to make it a cobra jet, all you have to do is add the CJ intake and heads(around 430hp at 5500- I think). Those parts you can find at any ford swap meets.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
MAVERIk said:
A 427 is simply a de-stroked 460 (I think I got that right). [/QUOTE

actually its a 429 your thinking of. 427s are priced in the ozone now. but gotta love the big FE's. you can still go to the junkyard and pick up a complete 429 or 460 for like $220 though. and they are plentiful in big Lincolns still.

·
Registered
59 Posts
oh. ok thanks, I wasn't really sure of that or not. I knew it was a 420 series, at least(lol). And you are right about the 460s. Most of the old Marks have them. My friend had a 72 mark 8 with a 460 in it. If you laid the peddle down it would just set there and smoke 'em. Just imagine that in a car that weighs 3000 pounds less:D ahhh....there's nothing like american horsepower.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
"Those parts you can find at any ford swap meets."

I gotta start hitting the swaps he goes to. mm

·
Registered
59 Posts
spring swap and summer swap in columbus ohio, are the ones I go to, I'm pretty sure there's one in Indiana:rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dokta,

Just wanted to let you know that you can put a 460 in your Cougar no problem and no cutting. Crites Restorations sells the motor mounts, headers, radiator, fan shroud and just about everything else you need for this swap. You can find them on the internet. I'm not computer literate enough to link their site to my message.

I'm having a 500+hp 460 built for mine right now and according to my engine builder (he used to race for Ford in the 60's and 70's and has 3 Boss 429 engines sitting in his garage among other jewels) and Crites Restorations, there's no cutting required. I think the only problem may be hood clearance and I'm solving that with either a Boss or Eliminator scoop.

I went through the 427/428 vs 460 discussion with my engine builder and he was very much in favor of the 460. He said the 460's don't have the detonation problems a 427 and 428 have on today's pump gas. The engine even has 11.5 to 1 pistons and he says it should run fine. Since the Cougars weigh more than a Mustang, the big-blocks torque and horsepower should more than make up for the added weight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts