Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 has a good body with no dents or dings but the paint is about 30 years old. Still somewhat glossy but could be better. Down the rtoad I will likely look at a full repaint but until then I would like to get it looking nicer. What is the best method to rub the paint out given that the painted pin strips are also in good condition and I don't want to mess them up in the process?

·
Registered
391 Posts
There are a lot of products out there that do a good job. My '68 has much of it's original paint and I am very careful to maintain it well, as I want to keep it original as long as possible. My best piece of advice is to use the most gentle products possible -- it's better to go over it twice lightly that once with too abrasive a product, as you might not be able to fix it. I've had the car for 19 years now -- it's been professionally detailed twice, and I've just kept it well waxed, going over any trouble spots with a light cleaner when needed. With respect to the stripes, I would mask them off for any work you do with a buffer and very carefully go over them with the a light cleaner/wax, like Meguiar's #6 to blend that area in with the rest of the paint. I use Meguiar's #26 high tech yellow wax, and occasionally Meguiar's cleaner/wax paste in the red container about once a year. My car stays covered in a garage and isn't out much and that works well.

Good luck!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I was going to say the same thing about masking off the stripes with 3M "fine line" tape. You could go so far as to mask off all the peaks in the body as well since the paint could be a bit on the thin side there. Do those areas by hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts