Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem on a cougar. My driver's side shock breaks off at the bottom where the mouting part is welded to the shock. I have had it aligned and had several people check it out. The spring isn't very straight and curves in toward the engine compartment, and I know this is what causes the shock to break but I can't figure out why the spring sits like that. I have also had the upper control arms replaced. Is this a weak spring condition or something else with the front end. Oh yeah, I even put a different spring in it hoping it would change it but to no avail. The spring wasn't new but I thought it would at least be a little different. Maybe it is the spring, but if anyone has had this problem and fixed could you let me know. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
First of all, does your car still have the brace under the engine? The one that goes from one side to the other and is a tubular design?
Second, when you say bent, what do you mean by that? How bent?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By that brace, do mean a sway bar. If not then, no, it isn't there anymore to the best of my recollection. Also by bent in I mean that the spring, when in the car, isn't straight up and down, it curves toward the engine compartment between the two mounting points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts