Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember a while back we put up some prototype pictures of 67/8 dash panel emblems, and 69/70 XR-7 door pull strap end pieces. Well, happily, they're now finished and in stock!

Let's start off by taking a look at the dash emblems. First of all, props to Bill B. - great job developing these, as always. They are stunning.

Some of you may recall the debate about whether to do the "XR-7" letters in chrome, or in painted satin silver, like the originals. There were compelling arguments for both; some thought the chrome letters would look better and contrast with the satin background nicely, but the all-satin version is more "concours correct." So, we ended up getting both versions made! See the difference below:

And here's just a nice shot showing the background texture and quality of the chrome:

More pictures and info here: Satin version or Chrome version

Then of course there's the standard dash emblem as well, which is of equally high quality. Very cool. More pictures and info here: Standard dash emblems

Next, we have the chrome end pieces that go on the door pull straps for 1969-1970 XR-7's. They are very nice quality, shiny as can be, and match the originals almost exactly. The main difference you might notice is that the texture on the flat faceplate area is not as rough / brushed as the originals. If anything, it's too shiny. I'm told that this is being looked into, to possibly be corrected on future runs, but in my opinion they look pretty darn good. Sold in a set of 8 pieces, to do both doors. More pics and info here.

Last but not least, something that isn't as shiny, but still cool. Sail panels for 1970 standard interior (without opera lights). We have them in black and white. Quality is excellent! XR-7 versions are in development too, as well as 1969 sail panels.

Thanks for looking, and we look forward to hearing your feedback! We can go on all day about how great something is, but it's worth a lot more to hear you guys say what you think when you have the parts in hand. :wave:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Awesome, both pieces for the 70 are now on my "to purchase" list.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Those 69 door pull pieces look great. It ALL looks great.

What keeps the tab pieces onto the rest of the pull strap piece? Double sided tape? Does it come with the pieces and what if I needed only the tape? Where can that be gotten relatively easy? Home Depot?

Thank you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I emailed Don Tuesday night about needing a dash emblem and he emailed back "tomorrow". And now here they are and I will be ordering the standard dash emblem very soon!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Those 69 door pull pieces look great. It ALL looks great.

What keeps the tab pieces onto the rest of the pull strap piece? Double sided tape? Does it come with the pieces and what if I needed only the tape? Where can that be gotten relatively easy? Home Depot?

Thank you.
Just like original it is 3m double sided tape and yes you can buy it most anywhere.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Andrew, your photography is just stunning. Simply amazing. Thanks.
Thanks Bill! Much appreciated. Let me know if you need someone to travel the world and photograph exotic cars for your magazine. Haha..

While I'm at it, someone asked on the other forum how the sail panels compare to originals, with regard to the texture and thickness. I did a couple comparison shots to answer that query.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is amazing. Those Buffalo nickels look identical. Lol
Thanks Bill! Much appreciated. Let me know if you need someone to travel the world and photograph exotic cars for your magazine. Haha..

While I'm at it, someone asked on the other forum how the sail panels compare to originals, with regard to the texture and thickness. I did a couple comparison shots to answer that query.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaa.. Had to use something for reference, and just happened to have a buffalo nickel! Could have used a ruler or something, but that's no fun.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Need something to go between those cool end pieces. Saddle please.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I received my new standard dash emblem and it looks as good as the pics here showed. Already glued in place and should have the pad back in the car this weekend.

Thanks Don!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Don,
Will the '69 sail panels have that recessed (or pressed) "ring" that follows the perimeter of the panel in them as well? Also, when would you hope to see them ready?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are there provisions for the opera lights in the sail panels? I need a set for my 69 fo sho!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I will take a pair in black, as soon as they show up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts