Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Brand new member here. Owned 2 1969 cougars back in my youth and just picked up a solid project car (69 XR7 Convertible).

Bought this car from a guy who inherited it from a deceased family member. He knew nothing of mechanics and was paying a guy to re-wire it (not sure why - the entire car is solid). But for some reason the original harness has been replaced with a Painless Performance MUSTANG wiring harness. He had the engine circuit working as well as headlights/tail light/brake lights. He had stalled out on the interior and the doors.

First thing I noticed was that the had simply plugged in the MUSTANG wired plug into the back of the cluster gauges. All the pin outs were completely wrong (I think this is why he fired his wiring guy or maybe he fired him first and then tried to get the car back together to sell and just plugged everything back in). I called Painless and they were like "yeah we don't make a Cougar harness" and we chatted a bit about the pin outs. By tracing my cluster I think I've figured out 90% of how I have to wire it but I'll have a few questions as I go along.

First thing: looking at the schematics, the pin outs for my cluster have a couple differences. Wondering if someone can tell me the difference between an XR7 cluster vs a standard (what features are different and or what pin-outs are different if you know). Dunno if this is the original cluster or if he put a standard into an RX7. It's got all the indicator lights in the cluster so I'm assuming this is the XR7. I also saw while researching that there are other variables: Red printed circuit vs blue printed circuit and I also saw a comment that the circuit may have changed depending upon when in the production run the car was made (or is that the color difference?) My printed circuit is blue.

So now my task is to read up on all the schematics I can get my hands on and try to wire this car using the MUSTANG harness as a base line. I am a hobbyist, not a professional, but I understand how to trace out the circuits (lol sorta). My problems come up when the schematics don't match what I'm looking at on the car and I have no idea what the previous guy was thinking. I figure if I just take my time (with a lot of trial and error) and trace it all out I should eventually be ok.

Any wiring gurus out there?

Any links to all the variations on the pin-outs? I saw some posted that didn't match mine.

Thanks!

Calbert

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Other sources include:
Jim Osborn Reproductions. - a booklet of Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams - probably not much different than the WCCC download
A full single sheet schematic from www.ClassicCarWiring.com
Forel Publishing for computer based shop manuals and schematics. - http://forelpublishing.com/estore/scripts/default.asp
Several people sell hard copy shop manuals
I've found the the schematics and manuals indispensable in trouble shooting and repairs

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much! I think I figured out all the pins but one. Been reading up on this site about dash clusters and I'm getting scared. lol. I have no choice at this point - one step at a time. I think I will invest in a quality fire extinguisher (that's not a joke).

I wanted a project but not a potential fireball. :cry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've tracked all the pins on the '70 XR7 they should be pretty much the same. Which one are you needing to identify?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just looked at my photo of the circuit board film on my '70. It is specific to the '70. Maybe not a good source for our '69. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input! I realize my original question about different pin outs or red vs. blue PC's is immaterial as long as I trace out what I have and adjust my plug accordingly.

The good news is I think I've got it all figured out. The bad news is, there weren't enough pins on the existing plug (there were blanks in the mustang harness) so I can't hook everything back up yet.

I plugged in what I have and got the ammeter, tach, cluster lights, brake light, and highbeam light working today. I have to wire up a small jumper across two tangs and that will get the blinkers working (they are not grounded without the extra pin). Based on the schematics it looks like the rest of the stuff will work fine just plugging in the right wires.

I need like 5 or 6 more pins. Does anyone have some to spare from an old harness that's junk? I know I can buy a whole plug but for just a few pins that seems wasteful.

Thanks again for your input!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts