Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys havein a prob just replaced master cylinder and power booster both front calipers rear cylinders all nwe hardware ans lines bleed them to no end have hard pedal when car is pff soon as i start it no pedal all mush please any help thanks moe

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Is the pushrod length correct ? did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it ? otherwise i had a similar issue on mine when i converted to disc brakes, and on mine it needed much and thorough bleeding of the system to get all the trapped air out of the calipers, and i had to be very careful on how i operated the brake pedal while bleeding the system, in order to do it properly

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I am still having issues on a total new install myself. Master cylinder must be bench bled, can still be done while in the car though. Rear shoes must be adjusted to almost touching on the rears. And like Jan said, much bleeding in the fronts. I have bled my fronts out many, many times, and still have a soft pedal. I will just periodically bleed the fronts until I have no air coming out of the fronts. Every time I put vacuum to them I get air bubbles. I bleed until they don't come out anymore, but still have a squishy pedal. After driving a little bit I try it again and again get air. Seems like maybe the fronts just hold a lot of air and it takes a lot to get it all out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes bench bled the cylinder, shoes are tight, didnt check vacuum yet gonna try bleeding some more, alreadt usesd big bottle of fluid on it . ill keep trying. thanks guys, moe

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think you'll find that you'll get a lot more help with your questions if you take the time to type it so people don't have to read it 5 times to figure out what you're asking. I just gave up after the second attempt.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I think you'll find that you'll get a lot more help with your questions if you take the time to type it so people don't have to read it 5 times to figure out what you're asking. I just gave up after the second attempt.
Absolutely!
I enjoy helping out but if the poster doesn't take the time to structure a coherent question, why should I take the time to respond?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Was this a power brake car originally? I noticed you said replaced and not upgraded. If it wasn't power brakes before you might need to swap out the brake pedal and hanger for a power brake setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts