Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 70 in today to the brake place, they put her on some brake testing thing, where the tyres sit on rollers and then they brake, or something that looked like that. Result: NO Back brakes, at all. Front drivers side - brake binding, passengers side - suspect, handbrake, - not working.
So, she is spending the next couple of days there, they are going to strip everything off and check it all out, which sets my mind at ease, scary thought that the only thing stopping the car was the front brakes.
Next stop after that, to get the steering sorted out.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad we made it 500miles back to our home town safely:), why can't PO's just tell the truth?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
well you could always cut some holes in the floorboard and then get some extra thick soles and stop Fred Flintstone style ;)

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don, would have been a good weight loss strategy tho'.
The bad news: The guy phoned me today to tell me that the PO had put in the wrong brake drums, probably tried to match up the originals and put the closest thing in, result is that the shoes are only wearing out in one spot, which I believe puts extra strain on the front discs. He tried matching drums with other car's drums but no luck.
More bad news: Phoned the guy at the V8 place, he has also got a cougar, said that no drums from here would fit, they have to be imported from USA and would cost about R900 each. Major EEEK!
The good news: guy from V8 place phoned back to say he had found 2 drums on the shelf, must have been ordered for a stang and never picked up, price still bad, now R950 each, but what can I do, brakes being extrememly important, banked the cash and will receive them on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
what kind of shipping cost do you face from US? I may pull 9" rear from 73 owner said he had just redone brakes, drums could be good- The shop he claimed to have used is good. I just want the rear, engine and trans.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Swamper but I received the drums at 10am this morning, only sent the cash 3.15pm yesterday, quite amazing, would account for the foul weather we are having. They say Made in Canada on them, the brake guy was quite surprised, told him to treat them like gold, they fitted perfectly, now he just has to resleeve the master cylinder and my brakes should be good. Then its on to the steering.
Talking about major EEEks, asked for the price of a new windscreen for her [cracked on passenger side] R5500, he must be joking, thats 5 x the minimum wage. Going to seriously check out prices your side and cost of shipping, they can send the thing by ship, if its cheaper.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
New wind shield in August was $168 installed here by expert (specailist in hot rods and classics). The glass can be had for $130.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, so $130 x 10.64 = R1383, you can't tell me shipping will cost R4200, so where the hell does this guy get his prices from, must investigate this further, if I go to one of the sites, say 'mustangs unlimited' will they be able to tell me what the shipping costs will be.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest update from the brake guys: Al seals etc in master cylinder swollen, apparently previous owner used '3in1' oil instead of brake fluid??????????????????????

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
DOH!!!!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
HEY 72!

Some of us are going to the all FORD show in columbus OHIO,a while back you were looking for a emblem to go on the grill in the front.If you can find a picture of one I will be happy to see if they have one.The show is NOV 30th.How much Or did you find one all ready.Any other small odds and ends you looking for?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Dan
I think the LS that I have on the grille is from the Lincoln LS, it could be that the exported ones got them on, still trying to trace that, I should have a XR7 grille emblem, but I believe they are pretty pricey, taking into account our terrible exchange rate, however I see that the 70 cougar is missing a rear backup lens, RH side, Heres a picture of the LH side, could be an indicator light, , anyway its clear glass, so if you come across one, and the price is not to high then I would appreciate you getting one for me.
Our exchange rate is R10-70 = $1, so you can use your judgement as to what is a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Current update on brakes, PO used incorrect master cylinder kit, now pistons have to be honed or sleeved or something. I'm going in tomorrow to check it all out.

·
Registered
889 Posts
ok

ill put it on my list

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dan, appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
There was an XR7 grill emblem on ebay the other day.....
don't remember the price... over a $100 I think...:(
Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeouch, over $100, thats more than minimum wage here!!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Todays update, brake guy had to machine the piston in the master cylinder to get it to fit properly, also has to put the wheel thingies on the lathe cos' they are out of shape due to wrong drums being used, [note very technical wording - its late - my brain went to sleep hours ago]. So getting her back tomorrow.
Have not told my 19 yr old son about her yet, should get the shock of his life when he sees her.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts