Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys...I'd like to start off by thanking everyone who replied concerning my brake problem. (especially a big thanksa to PacificatZ) To recap....I bought remanufactured booster/MC combo, new calipers, new rear cylinders....put all this together and had way, way too much pedal travel/spongy feel. Felt identical to air in lines...but bled entire system many ,many times using 3 different methods and about a gallon of fluid to no avail. Also, I checked for leakage, checked the rod adjustment for the booster as per gauge found in shop manual...right on dead nuts....but this was the problem! Yes....you read correctly! This was indeed the problem. Here is the scoop. When you take the MS off the booster, the rod is in there rather loose..it just rests inside a hole/metal star. When I put it back in the hole and measured using the gauge, it was perfect. What I DID NOT LOOK AT was BEHIND the rod...(inside the booster) there is a corrugated star looking piece of metal that rests against a rubber boot where the adjustment rod bottoms into. OK..that was fine...but the star looking metal thing WAS WARPED!!! Really warped. So since I didnt notice this...I put it all together, measured, adjusted, and had pedal travel because when a person applied foot pressure enough to overcome the warpage...BUT NOT ENOUGH TO MOVE BRAKE FLUID it took up half the pedal travel. Finally, the MS piston starts to move. That is why the adjustment rod....although was set perfectly, was the culprit. Who would have thought. It was a newly remanufactured part straight from the auto parts store. Anyway...I took it back to them...they gave me an exchange...I took off MC and looked inside. No warped metal piece. Great! I checked rod length...(it was perfect from factory) bolted this up...topped off fluid....bled brakes...and now my car stops on the proverbial dime!
There has to be a lesson in there somewhere. Something like instead of assuming a "new" part is good, check it out. Or...maybe re-manufactured is not always the best way to go, or something like that.
Anyway...thanks guys. You wanted me to post the situation once I figured it out. There you have it!
Drive safe!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Its things like that that makes a man go grey at 28!!!
Glad to hear you found it and thats for letting us know what it was....
Scott

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly! Scott....it was a wierd feeling. I knew I had done everything correctly....but the self-doubt started creeping in after a few days of being unable to find anything wrong with the installation.
Afrter all....it was only a brake job....how hard is that? Everybody at this site is the greatest. I had over 5 different suggestions after only having my question posted for a day. With a crew like you guys helping...it's like having a team of mechanics in my garage brainstorming. Thanks again....

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
thats great to hear. One less car to worry about not being able to stop safely ;) Now just need to see pix.

Rick

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Good job on solving the problem! And thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts