Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving 68 KAT on a city street and see a guy turning left in front of me. No big deal...I hit the brakes and start to slow down and then much to my HORROR - the pedal gets hard, there are NO BRAKES and...

CRASH!!!

68 KAT needs a new bumper, grille, nose piece and driver's side fender...

It has power disc brakes and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? Not the crash, the BRAKES failing...:)

Pics to follow if I can bear to look at it...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
sounds like it might be the piston in the master cylinder is bound up. I???

·
Registered
889 Posts
vacume loss

could be a vacume loss at the wrong time.sorry about the crash. glad no one was hurt.Time and money,agravation swet no fun for a while. Dan

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap.
My 68 did that when the power booster went belly-up. :1zhelp: Luckily I wasn't in traffic at the time.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it might be the booster too...the PO replaced it just before I purchased the car. However, maybe it is a vacuum leak. Might explain why it doesn't run as well as I think it should be and only pulls about 11 psi of vac at idle.

When I drove it after doing the insurance info thing it stopped fine again. It seems like it must be related to a panic stop and maybe that ties into the vacuum angle...

I suspect the hardest part to find is going to be the grille. Or the nose.

arrrrggggghhhhhh

Ken

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
that sounds like it. i remember i had a booster go bad one time and it did what you described but i could still stop, i just had to really mash hard on the peddle and hope it stopped in time, that was like ten years ago. I recall it making a hiss sound comming from the booster when i applied the breaks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Ken,

Are the 67/68 grilles the same??

My buddy Doug has a REALLY nice 67 front clip, Fenders, complete grill and bumper for sale. Cheap.

Check them out in my photo gallery HERE

Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just checked the handy dandy Hollander Interchange and it shows the grille (L & R) for 67 and 68 (non-GTE) to be the same...

The bumper appears to be the same...

The front fenders show up as different part numbers...

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The fenders are different, but only in the fact that the 67's don't have marker lights. 68's do. So, you cut yourself a hole in the 67 fenders and stick em in. :)

As for price, not sure, wouldn't be all that much. I'll shoot you an email.

·
Registered
266 Posts
check your caliper pistons. This sounds like they could be a little sticky. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
mannnnn!!!!

THAT Sucks..... Yo me those *&%^$#[email protected]#^$%* headlight doors are the hardest to align:angryfi:

Don

·
Registered
370 Posts
it hurts me to see that. Sorry about the mishap and hope everything turns out. What I would do is just take it down to a brake shop and have them do an inspection on the whole system. Most places will just do it for free. Good Luck!

Joe

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the work has begun on 68 Kat...the parts are on the way from West Coast Classic Cougar. I hope they're as nice as Don described them.

The body shop I selected has a web site and posts pictures of the work in progress.

Here's how she looks so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Let us know what you find out. :(

1 - 20 of 41 Posts