Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two parter question.

how difficult would it be to convert from drum brakes to disc on the front of my 69 XR7?

and secondly,

i *need* to redo the front suspension bushings, squeak city, but i was wondering if there was some sort of mild "upgrade" i could do to improve over all handling and ride quality? nothing dramatic, just abit above stock possibly?? thanks all.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
mokankat said:
two parter question.

how difficult would it be to convert from drum brakes to disc on the front of my 69 XR7?

and secondly,

i *need* to redo the front suspension bushings, squeak city, but i was wondering if there was some sort of mild "upgrade" i could do to improve over all handling and ride quality? nothing dramatic, just abit above stock possibly?? thanks all.
Good shocks like KYB or Konis really help. A Monte Carlo Bar helps stiffen the engine bay. A rear stabilizer bar and subframe connectors help too. Tires make a big difference, high mileage "economy" tires are generally hard and don't handle as well and are more jarring.

Tim B

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's not too difficult to convert drum to disc on the front. You can get a good "do-it-yourself" kit for under a thousand bucks. For a little under a thousand dollars you can do some suspension upgrades that will make your car handle better then a modern day import.
Here's what I did on my car.
-1 1/8 Inch Front Sway Bar -$95.95
-3/4 Inch Stam Bar Rear Sway Bar -$119.95
-South Side Machine Lift Bars -$139.95
-Total Control Subframe Connectors -$139.95
-Total Control X-Cage -$139.95
-2 Polyurethane coil spring insulators -$19.95
-KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, set of 4 -$109.95
-Urethane shock mounting bushings, front -$16.95
-Urethane shock mounting bushings, rear -$16.95
-1" Lowering block kit -$29.95
-Chrome Export Brace -$59.95
-Contour Coil Springs by Traction Master -$69.95

-TOTAL: $959.40

You don't have to go that extreme though, you'd have a really nice handling car if you just got the KYB's, the sway bars, and the springs. - Chad

·
Registered
102 Posts
Drum to disc conversion

TCP magazine's TCP Tech section will be running a step by step how-to article on the brake conversion sometime in the next few months. Bruce Habel is writing the article, so you know it will be thorough and easy to understand.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet i'll defintely be looking forward to it. the cat's gonna get some major wokr done over the winter seeing as i came up with another car to drive instead. engine rebuild, suspension rebuild, and anyhitng else i can afford/handle. thanks guys!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts