Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat's brake system is fairly messed up, and I'm fixing everything.

I bought the correct brake activation rod, the part that hooks up to the pedal. The one in it was way too long so the brake pedal was too high. The replacement one I bought looks like the right length, but when I pulled the old one out of the booster, it left half of it inside, and I only pulled out the rod.

(see the picture. the old one is on top).

Is the end part the same on both the rods? Can I just pull off the base on my new rod, and stick it in the booster? How do I pull off the base? It seems like its on there pretty solid, and I don't want to break anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just pull off the base of the new rod and stick it in the brake booster? Are the bases the same? Will it break anything?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
When we did my sons booster, we had that problem getting the old one out. The guys at the parts store just yanked and shoved the new one in. That isn't a "firm, yes answer", but I think that is how you do it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we did my sons booster, we had that problem getting the old one out. The guys at the parts store just yanked and shoved the new one in. That isn't a "firm, yes answer", but I think that is how you do it.
You mean yanked the other half out of the booster? I haven't tried that yet, I've just been trying to yank the bottom part off the new rod I got. It's on there pretty tight though :-/

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
No, the end in the booster stayed, and the rest of the pushrod came out. He had to yank on it pretty good....Do you have a vice to hold the parts still? If you are trying to hold and pull at the same time, I'm sure it's being a PITA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, the end in the booster stayed, and the rest of the pushrod came out. He had to yank on it pretty good....Do you have a vice to hold the parts still? If you are trying to hold and pull at the same time, I'm sure it's being a PITA.
Ah, makes sense. I don't have a vice. I'll try to take the part to a machine shop and see if they can pull it apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts