Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some problems the brakes on my '67. When I step on the brakes, it pulls the car to the right. When on a gravel road the right front locks up before the others.

I had the brakes rebuilt a while back, and about a month after the rebuild they started having problems. The starnge thing is that the car dosen't always pull to the right, sometimes it will continue going straight.

I tried adjusting the right front, still pulls to the right.
I tried adjusting the left front, still pulls to the right.

The car has 4 wheel power drums.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Cody

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
How are the drums, are they true, maybe they need to be turned. Are the pads glazed, wheel cylinders leaking, rubber brake lines bulging. Did you bleed the system as well after rebuilding. None of this probably helps but worth a shot.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not do the brakes myself, a had a shop do it. They claimed to have turned the rotors, and they put in new pads. The lines do not look swollen. Me thinks that it is possibly a leaky wheel cylinder, but I didn't have time to pull the drums and check.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is possible that it was the bearings, the shop that did the work had the bearings to tight(dumb mofo's). However, I fixed the bearigs this morning and am still having problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It could be that just maybe they didn't fully bleed all the brakes, at each end of the car I would try that then go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts