Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in brake pedal pushrods, for the 1967 cougar with power disc VS manual drum brakes? My 67 currently has manual drum, but I have collected the parts to convert to power disc, but I am not sure about push rod lengths. I know that I have seen a few threads about them but didn't find anything when I tried to search..
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, nobody? I guess I don't have to worry about it!-)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I think the pushrod itself might be the same, but there is most likely differences in the length, so you´ll have to adjust the pushrod to match up to the master cylinder, there is a nice write up in the original shop manual on how to measure the pushrod length and how to make the tool to measure with

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Wood, were you able to find anything in the 1967 shop manual? It seems to me that there is something in the brake section.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still in Africa, I won't be able to do any reading out of the manual until I get home. It looks like I got my extension, so now I should be back the middle of March!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You put in for an extension? You must really be hating it!.....how aweful. ;>) Just holding out for warm weather at home huh!

I coulda swore I saw somebody post (long time ago) about the difference between manual/power lengths but I don't know if that was tied to the brand of booster..? Can't find it now .... keep searching I bet you find it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
1967 Manual Drums used the 'Bolt-top' Master Cylinder, which I am pretty sure used a Straight Rod, not Curved like the Power Booster Rod of 67-69. I think there might also be a difference in the way they fit into the Booster or M/C, with Flat or Rounded Ends. Not an expert here, just trying to go from memory. I think you need a P/D/B Specific Rod.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, can anybody post pictures, from under the hood, comparing PDB vs Non PDB cut outs in the firewall? I guess there are differences there too?

·
Registered
733 Posts
..and you know about the different pedals, right?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes on the pedals. I had bought a cougar for parts last year, that had disc brakes, but I didn't have time to pull the hangar and pedal assembly off. So, I bought a new power brake pedal, hangar, and PDB booster and MC. I asked the guy to throw in the PR if he still had it. I know the box arrived, but I don't have the whole inventory of what I did get.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also, can anybody post pictures, from under the hood, comparing PDB vs Non PDB cut outs in the firewall? I guess there are differences there too?
Here is a 67 Cougar Power Brake Car

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! That will help me find the holes to create when I get home!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts