Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that gives a comparative length for manual, power drum, power disc, etc? I just replaced my front drums with a stock 68 set up, and now have waaay to much pedal travel, from the power drums before. IDK why the brake pedal travel would change as much as it did....

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
From a quick check at Rock Auto, here are the push rod depths:

Power Drum: 1.25
Manual Drum: 1.24
Power Disc: 1.41

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Did you change out the brake pedal and switch?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same issue with mine. However, the pushrod between the master and booster is adjustable and can remove the slack. I have no idea why the pedal had such freeplay, it really doesn't make sense to me. Looking at the sizes posted by Ahunt191, I went from manual drum to power drum, 1.24 to 1.25??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Woodsnake, did you have to enlarge the holes in the fire wall to get the booster in level and high enough?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not change the brake pedal and switch, as the car had the power drum brakes before I added the discs. I didn't do the install on the booster myself, I had that done locally for me. I'm not sure if they had to mod the firewall or not...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't realize your car had power brakes already, so the mods were probably not required.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was not a factory PDB car, so it was a good question. I just don't know the correct answer.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another thought, could it be the master cylinder? The car from the factory had four drum brakes, non power. I added the power set up, and left the drum in place.
Maybe I have a power drum master cylinder? Any idea what the difference between master cylinders is?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a chance someone at some point put a disc/drum master cylinder on there. It would have 2 reservoirs that were different sizes. The one for all drum has 2 identical reservoirs. This could play with your pedal travel if a disc/drum master cylinder is installed accidentally.

Al...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts