Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an all disc manual (not power) setup with 79' Lincoln Versailes front brakes and a kit in the rear using 87' Camero calipers. I used a 70' Mustang master cylinder for disc/drum manual bakes and a proportioning valve. I feel both front and rear are staying engaged as you cannot push the car on level ground and you can smell the bakes after driving for about 5 minutes. The rod in the master cylinder cannot be shortened and I think that may be the problem. Could I put a shim between the master cylinder and firewall? I was wondering how thick it should be, 1/4", 1/8"....any ideas here? Has anyone ever had these similar problems? Thanks again MC.net :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the problem you have is the 70 m/c--it has a 10 psi check valve built into it , which will not let the rear brakes release---i think i would look for an aftermarket m/c for a disc/disc set up with a 1" bore if your going to stay with non-power-----you could get away removing the check valves in your m/c
doctotdesoto

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, is removing the check valves a big deal? I am not wanting to replace this master cylinder since it's new and returning it is no longer possible. I'm hoping to do what it takes to fix the brakes but keep this m/c. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If in fact your MC has the RPV in the rear circuit, it would be located behind the flare seat of the outlet on the MC. If you have a brass flare seat, you take a self tapping screw of the appropriate size and thread it into the hole in the flare seat, pry on the head of the screw using two screwdrivers and the seat will come out. Behind it is the RPV. If your flare seat appears to be the same material as the MC itself, you do not have an RPV and cannot remove the seat, it is machined into the cast iron itself.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts