Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got her insured and Tagged, ready to take and get inspected (last time inspected 99) and found the brakelights is not working now, they were working few weeks ago because i had to replace some bulbs and checked. You guy's got any Ideas to the problem before i go fishing for the problem in the morning. Parklights and turn signals work great. I was hoping to get her on the road this week. Does the brakelights have a seperate fuse? Thanks in Advance Yarddog

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check your brake light switch and make sure the connections are tight.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My switch on the back of the pedal came off once... frustrating to find that one (after checking all bulbs, connections, etc. from the lights backward...)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
checking from the lights backwards???? did you work on chev's before :D First job is to check the power source, then work to the bulbs/connections. Same as a car wont start, check battery and work your way forward :)

But its happened to me, my car wouldnt start, so I replace the wipers, then got new tires, still wouldnt start, so I decided to get new seats, then it started, but wouldnt go anywhere, so I bought brakes, (just incase it would move I guess,lol)hahahahahahahahhaha.

Rick

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
But its happened to me, my car wouldnt start, so I replace the wipers, then got new tires, still wouldnt start, so I decided to get new seats, then it started, but wouldnt go anywhere, so I bought brakes, (just incase it would move I guess,lol)hahahahahahahahhaha.
:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

I usually jump the brake light switch first. If they don't come on, I test probe for power to the switch. If there's no power to the switch, THEN I replace the wipers.
Rick, I'm surprised at you - Never buy brakes before replacing the headlights! :p:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
dark7068 said:
checking from the lights backwards???? did you work on chev's before :D
No, didn't work on nuthin by myself before, that's the problem. I did lots of work with the Old Man before that, "Hand me the 9/16 open, 10" vise grip, little c-clip thingy" stuff like that.
15 years old, first car, second or third thing that went wrong with it... wanted to figure it out all by myself to prove to the Old Man that I could work on cars myself.... did that, but took an hour or two longer than I expected.... :) Good thing he wasn't watching!

·
Registered
175 Posts
First you get it painted, then worry about getting it started!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As Fernanado Lamas (Billy Crystal) used to say: It's better to look good than to feel good. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To the ones with decent responses: i found the problem, it was the Brakelight switch behind the pedal, I appreciate your input. Now to find one of these things? ----- To THOSE of you trying be funny or WHATEVER! SORRY I ASK

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Grunt Doc said:
Check your brake light switch and make sure the connections are tight.
greggieatthebat said:
My switch on the back of the pedal came off once... frustrating to find that one...
TheRktmn said:
... I usually jump the brake light switch first. If they don't come on, I test probe for power to the switch....
Yarddog said:
To the ones with decent responses: i found the problem, it was the Brakelight switch behind the pedal, I appreciate your input. Now to find one of these things? ----- To THOSE of you trying be funny or WHATEVER! SORRY I ASK
Please excuse the attempts at levity. My apologies.
Your switch is a standard Ford item and is available at most auto parts outlets such as NAPA, Autozone, etc. If you cannot find one locally most all of the Mustang and Cougar vendors I deal with list them in their catalogs.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
YD- Sorry for getting off topic, it is a definite character flaw of mine. (For example, right now I'm at work...) I'm glad you found the problem.
For me I just had to push the connector back on, the switch was fine it just got unplugged so I can't help you on where to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Sorry yarddog, my appologize for getting off topic here. trying to lighten the mood, and since the help was in the first 2 posts, I just, well...... sorry.
Rick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ain't no Problem fellas - we good here. I got it off, now to go get one tomorrow. Appreciate the help. I'm sure it want be the last time. That's why i like this SITE, so that i can ask even the simple things, cause i know all models and makes of cars are basically the same, but ever make and model is unique in the tricks and niches that go wrong with them and there are tricks to fixing most, once you've it done it once. I know most of ya'll have already BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT. That's why I call on ya'll. ---- Or it could be, I'm too lazy to figure it out myself. Little of both probably Yarddog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BrakeSwitch in; and i'm finally on the road. ----- Next step ------ New Posi unit and 31 spline axles ----- It'll be a while before the Piggy bank recovers enough for that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is Why I love this Site.

Everyone,

This thread is a perfect example of what makes this site "GREAT"

No one ever means to offend, even when it is of the most innocent of things. As I read the posts, I was LMAO, because I can remember doing things like they were saying, as with helping my father, replacing parts that had nothing to do with the problem and so forth, I also understand Yarddog, he had a problem serious to him and was needing serious answers and wasn't in the mood for levity at the moment. But did anyone get snippy with him? NO! The other posters realized that, apologized and offered serious advice and everyone remained friendly. "All's well that ends well." You don't find that on other sites. We have the best site on the web and the members here are the GREATEST people in the world.

Here's to everyone!!!!!

Ron

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I found the posts humourous but have this to add. Sometimes when no current is available for taillites and switch is okay you'll need to check the brake circuit(circus for U funE catz,lol)breaker which is way up in the cowl above the headlite switch in 69s. In 70 its around radio area. Has two postrs on it and green wires. The other reason brake lights won't work is due to turn signal switch being bad. Lucky in this case a simple switch was all that was needed. Catzya

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
YardDog- Just curious, how much did the switch end up setting you back, and was it easy to find?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought at a Auto Parts Store called Eddy's Auto Parts near the house and it cost around $10.00 Bucks. Made just a little different, but works fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts