Mercury Cougar Owners banner

brake lights out...I'm stumped

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  woodsnake 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I got pulled over the other day on my way to the junkyard and the cop told me my tail lights were out, we chatted for about 10 minutes about the car and he gave me a fix it ticket w/no fine and rode off (awesome Cougar moment). I'm actually glad he stopped me because theres no way of knowing they were out other than someone rear ending me. Plus this gives me an excuse to tell my wife I need to spend more money on the car haha

What would make em go out? I already changed the turn signal switch and the switch on the pedal, but I think the pedal switch is wrong for some reason (power vs manual maybe). The lights all still work when I turn on the parking lights, but no brake lights
Any suggestions fellas?

#4 ·
Many times the brake pedal bushing is missing. It goes on the end of the push rod before it slides over the brake pedal stud. Without it the pedal has too much slop and won't activate the switch. Also check the switch to make sure you have the correct one. Power versus manual. They have different springs.

#6 ·
They aren't that much at autozone/schucks/kragen/ whatever box parts store you have nearby..

#7 ·
Don't bother with thejunkyard or aftermarket switches, find a Motorcraft switch.
I've found that the aftermarket switches for disc brakes are calibrated incorrectly.
Old switches can have the metal push plate concaved to the point where they
will no longer actuate.

#10 ·
O'reilly wants 30 bucks for a brake light switch??

#12 ·
That's crap....I can get them for around fifteen bucks three blocks from my house all day long. Or at least I could, the last time I needed one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.