Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I try to track down my breaklight problem, I see that the fog lamps do not work. Do the brake lights go through the circuit breaker in the console? I feel less than bright asking this but- What does the circuit breaker look like because I haven't found it. GAWD-I feel like a dope asking this but I'm stumped. Thank you

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
While they look like Mustang Sport Lamps or fog lights, those are turn signal lights on the front of 1969 Cougars. They even have Cougar part numbers on them, so the Mustang (and Shelby) borrowed from Cougars.

Victor Yarberry has a really good trouble shooting section on his website. It says 'sequentials' but it includes brake lights.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The brake light circuit breaker is all on its own and lives right up inside the top LH corner of the dash/plenum area, and is retained by a single screw. I know because it is pretty hard to locate first time, and equally fiddly to remove and replace. Hope that helps clarify things a bit! I spent a LOT of time trying to sort out the brake light issues on mine, and found a major contributing reason was the multiplug connector that joins the steering column switch wiring to the harness. In my case, there were a couple of corroded/ dirty contacts- one of which supplied power to the brake lights! Also check the brake light switch. Hope that helps too!

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You- I only wish I could find a shop here in Possum Trot Tennessee (nashville) that understood these taillights

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Possum Trot - LOL! You gotta have some goober around there that knows which end of the multimeter to use? Some of the best electriccal troubleshooters I know are guys who fix generators - believe it or not. Get a wiring schematic book for you car and take it with you. It will be necessary if you have to go diggin deep. Or PM me your email I can shoot you the tailight section

1 - 6 of 6 Posts